autozone replacement radiator?

TIMS87GN

I'm planning on replacing or re-coring my original in my GN. It is pretty plugged up. Runs 200 - 205 and never comes down even on the highway.
Anyway, with all the talk about the Fbody radiator and its lack of oil cooler hookups, I was curious if they offered the direct replacement Rad for our cars. They do. It is part# 433571 and is $125.99 according to their web site. It says it is a three core like ours. What I want to know is ... has anyone ordered this before and is it really a replacement for ours? Are the cores the correct size, etc.?
I would prefer to keep the car closer to original.
Anybody?

Have you had it looked at to determine if it just needs a good rodding? You may come out cheaper. I also did not see any fan upgrade in the sig. could be a contributing factor. I still run the stock radiator in the La. heat without any problems. Daily driver.

I've thought of it. I assume that requires removing the tanks. If thats the case, I'd just re-core. But, I think it would be easier to just drop in a new one if it only costs $125.

I plan on the fans a little later, I know its the radiator causing the problems right now. :D

Most likely that $125 replacement radiator does NOT have both the oil cooler and tranny cooler.

It most likely has only the tranny cooler.

You're not going to find an exaqct stock drop in for less than $250 probably.

Just get yours recored. Go with a 4 core replacement core.

Bandit would be correct. The part number that Autozone lists as the "replacement" for the 1987 model (433571) has only trans cooler lines. By the way, it's also only 20" across, as opposed to the actual size which is a hair over 26". They also list a part number (433162, listed under both V6 turbo and V8 models)) which is the same size as our units; however, it too only has trans cooler lines.

I know because I just went through the same situation not long ago. I took my bad rad. to a shop to see if they could repair it, and the cost of doing so was astronomical ($350). At those prices, it's almost financially responsible to purchase a Griffin/Be-Cool unit. I was on a budget, though, and wanted to stay with a unit very close to stock. I went to the Parts for sale area of this website and was able to find one in almost perfect condition for 1/2 the price it would have cost to repair the damaged one.....shipping included. It's worth a try.

HTH

Good luck with the 43-3571. It is for 84-85 GN's and 3.8 NA V6's... and about 6 inches too narrow.

Just got mine recored at the local radiator place...$135.00..has been great in the heat/humidity here..never above 180, even idling with a/c on

Instead I would go with the following, in this order:

1. Recore from Nick Micale, 3-row high-efficency
2. Modine 1R858 or GDI 43-3858, 4-row, no engine oil cooler
3. ACDelco 20463, 20489, Modine 1R953, or GDI 433918 aluminum, whichever is cheapest, no EOC.

Wow, thanks for the replies guys! I did some checking here locally on a re-core job out to four cores and was told basically about $350. Kinda high I think.
I appreciate all the part #s and the info on the autozone radiator. I will stay away from that one! I guess I will look into Nick Micale's radiator.

I am tempted to go with the fbody radiator though. It's tempting for the money. I just don't want to run a separate oil cooler, I already have one for the trans. Its a shame they cost so much, but I guess I should look at it as an investment!

Just as a reference...

Back when DeQuick was on OK guy, I ordered one of his high efficiency cores $180 and has a local shop do the work $50.

I still use that rad and it runs supa cool.