• Autometer

Votes: 28 73.7%
  • VDO

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

wantan87

What gauge company do you all prefer. I keep hearing more and more bashing of autometer gauges from all car people. I want to stick with needle gauges no digital ones like cyberdyne or nordkins (sp). I can't stand my digital dash anymore even if I have only had the car for 3 days now. JUst dosen't tell you anything. I already have a knock and boost gauge.

I've always preferred VDO gauges, but must honestly admit that I've never tried Autometer gauges. I have a Westech 25-0-30 boost gauge that I picked up at the nats many years ago and it's always worked well.

I have VDO oil pressure and water temp (I think a lot of people have this combo) and I've never had a problem with them.

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from Chris, I prefer AutoMeter, but have never tried VDO.

I like the A-M Ultra Lites, I have the 0-30psi boost, electric full-sweep coolant temp, oil pressure, and Pro CompII 9K Ultra-Lite memory/2-stage shift light in my GN. Yeah the tach may be overkill, but I always buy more than I need....tends to eliminate the need to buy something twice.

Never had a problem with them. Who's bitchin' about 'em? :p

Steve

I'm an autometer fan. Went to put a VDO trans temp gauge on a customer's car once (using ALL VDO stuff, mounting pod and everything) and the bracket that bolts to the back and secures the gauge to the pod was too short to hold the gauge tight. If VDO can't even make their own stuff work together I won't use them. I've always thought the autometers looked better also.

just my $.02

bob

I have had both. My first GN I had the electric VDO Water Temp and Oil Pressure gauges.

My current GN came with an Auto Meter Phantom Boost Gauge when I bought it. I added a full sweep electric Fuel Pressure Gauge, and Mechanical Water Temp and Oil Pressure.

It could be mechanical vs. electric, but I LOVE the Auto Meter gauges.

I have used both and worked for VDO.

I prefer the Autometer gauges however and only use them now.

I still use the VDO clock and outside temp. gauge I bought with my discount.

I think the Autometer boost gauges are more accurate at least the two I have tested vs. the two VDO boost gauges I tested.

I don't think you can go totally wrong with either company and would probably buy on looks if I hadn't worked for the Nazi's directly. ;)

autometer is nice! huge variety of different style gauges too.. i had autometer in my cutlass

thread hijack question: anyone know a p/n for a hood mounted fuel pressure gauge?
/////end hack

+1 for autometer

once upon a time, all VDO gauges were made in Germany. I dont know about now, but I believe all Mercedes cars and trucks had German made VDO gauges. For that matter, I think the old Volkswagons also used VDO gauges. However, most of your VDO gauges are now made all over the place, like most things. The quality is not what it used to be.

I've got a mix of gauges in my GN - Autometer and VDO. I bought all the VDO stuff shortly after I bought the car. More recently, I've been buying Autometer gauges. Autometer has more options (styles, configurations, etc.). Overall, I think they are about the same quality although it probably depends on which gauge or part you're talking about.

I'd stay away from some of these new gauge manufacturers though. Especially the ones which look like their target market is Fast n Furious wanna-be's. :p

Most of the VDO ones for US consumption ie. aftermarket not OEM stuff were made in the USA until recently, Virginia I believe.

Now I think they are all made in Mexico.

Company was bought out by Mannesmann then Siemens.

Just my .02.