Attention Bell South Employees

J Speak

I am just curious how difficult the basic electricity test is for new hires "Outside Technical" Thanks Justin

I'm part of At&T and the test was very basic, volts,grds,shorts. Can you read electrical diagrams?

I worked for Verizon as an I&M tech and only had to take a Battery Test. If your only going to be working with phones lines like I did, you only really need to know the basics but Verizon had a 6 week training program that taught the basics anyhow. However, that was a couple of years ago and I only worked with copper.

elevator mechanic here

aside from bell south :D if your looking for employment with great pay try your local INTERNATIONAL UNION OF ELEVATOR CONSTRUCTORS ( I.U.E.C.for short) good starting pay,
cannot be afraid of heights if you are looking for bell south employment this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds :biggrin: :D

The heights aren't that bad. It just takes a little while to get used to. The only thing that would freak me out at first was putting all my faith in the body belt when I leaned back on it 15ft in the air.
Also, Unions can have their pros and cons.

I work for the HellMouth(BellSouth). The difficulty of the test varies with your experience, i was an ET in the USN so it was easy for me. I had to take Basic Electricity and a seperate test for Basic Electronics, Computer Fundamentals and Digital Priciples to get my job. But they are less strict now, after only 12 out of 350 made it out of my group. And we are laying off this quarter, so good luck getting a job here.

It sounds like alot of knowledge to be considered for an Outside Tech. I would consider my experience vs. pay at that point. With electronics experience, you might have better options.

Ohms law and using a voltmeter is really all you would need.
I do some technical screening for the HR department for new hires and the skill level that I see is not very high.
A new outside tech here in Phoenix would just be doing POTS and maybe some DSL. Any person who can read can be trained. Its just tip, ring and waterpipe.

True. But what you need to know and what they test you for are 2 different things.

Thanks for the info. Laying off in Orlando! My test is for that area. Maybe I should rethink moving. But its the same situation here.

Justin

Not just Orlando, all of Central FL. But i dont know who is getting surplused. If they are testing you then maybe its not your area.

It is for Central Florida,Outside Technical Regular Full Time. I have to test on Basic Electricity and Schedule A PPT(Physical Performance Test) if I pass the Electrical exam. Is the Electrical Test in depth or is it pretty easy.

You shouldnt need that for an OPT position. Lately they have just been giving aptitude tests and seeing who is trainable.

So you think the Basic Electricity test will not be looked at!
Just wondering if I should keep reading this book to touch up my Knowlege.
Thanks Justin