atr v-band clamp

jdub

I have a atr exhaust system. The v-band at the ross over pipe is leaking causing high BLM. It's been over ten years since I installed them. Is there a seal where the cross over pipe to the headers that I can't see because of the v-band clamp.

I have a atr exhaust system. The v-band at the ross over pipe is leaking causing high BLM. It's been over ten years since I installed them. Is there a seal where the cross over pipe to the headers that I can't see because of the v-band clamp.

yes they came with a lead seal... RJC has S/S seals and there's a felpro number somewhere that has an Acura/Honda gasket/seal that works..... use the search button - its your friend:wink: :biggrin:

I don't have the ATR headers, but I have the old style KB headers that have the V-band clamps, and have used V-band clamps on many other exhaust applications and have never used a seal of any type. Shouldn't need one if the proper V-rings are used on each end of the pipes being connected. Maybe the ATRs are different but that would be the first I've ever seen.

thanks

Thanks a bunch Royal T. I'm so glad this site is here for everyone. The members are unbeleivable incredible for helping out.
Thanks a bunch again Royal T

hmm..never seen those. I guess if the mating surface was scratched or something, or the clamp stretched out, but I bet getting them in there and the V-band clamp on would be a real PITA.

yes

I will be assuming so. If I remember correctly it was a pita just to get the vband on

hmm..never seen those. I guess if the mating surface was scratched or something, or the clamp stretched out, but I bet getting them in there and the V-band clamp on would be a real PITA.

nope it just slides in between - its easy to get in there, it would be a lot easier if they came with better V Band Clamps though.....

....ATRs CAME WITH leaded "donut" gaskets but those used to blow out often.... i used to double up on each side and it would last considerably longer... i am about to try a cheapie autozone gasket for the acura/honda exhaust and a better clamp and hopefully it will last a lot longer.

v-band

On another thread about v-bands another member reconmended another v-band company. I just ordered two less in price from the other companies. This company has t-bar clamps and hoses Intercooler Pipe Fabrication - Silicone Intake Systems Auto Parts. I'll try them when I get time on my vacation next month planning to do new ported intake plenium and throttle body by steve monroeof course. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

yeah, there are some real pos cheap v-band clamps out there.
I've always used these on different exhaust setups I've built
Dynatech 60-912300S - Dynatech V-Clamp Collars - JEGS
Notice the solid band on the outside and the inner construction keeps it from stretching. As compared to these Dynomax 35430 - JEGS

If you have the latter clamps, and the mating surface is good and flat/plane, then you may just want to get the heavier clamps since those gaskets are already $19. I don't see how I would ever get the gasket in place and then get the clamp opened up and around the flange without the gasket getting out of place and preventing the clamp from going over the 2nd flange, unless the clamps you are using spread apart very easily.

yeah, there are some real pos cheap v-band clamps out there.
I've always used these on different exhaust setups I've built
Dynatech 60-912300S - Dynatech V-Clamp Collars - JEGS
Notice the solid band on the outside and the inner construction keeps it from stretching. As compared to these Dynomax 35430 - JEGS

If you have the latter clamps, and the mating surface is good and flat/plane, then you may just want to get the heavier clamps since those gaskets are already $19. I don't see how I would ever get the gasket in place and then get the clamp opened up and around the flange without the gasket getting out of place and preventing the clamp from going over the 2nd flange, unless the clamps you are using spread apart very easily.

there is a small ridge where the gasket slides onto.... you dont actually have to balance/ try to hold the gasket there while maneuvering the v band:biggrin: the gasket will stay put, then you just insert the ridge into the header and slip the v-band on.... if i get time i will try and post a pic

there is a small ridge where the gasket slides onto.... you dont actually have to balance/ try to hold the gasket there while maneuvering the v band:biggrin: the gasket will stay put, then you just insert the ridge into the header and slip the v-band on.... if i get time i will try and post a pic
That sounds a little different than the ones I have used.
Here's the only pic I could find that shows the mating surface of the ones I've used, shown at the very bottom of the pic (this was a true duel setup I made for my LT1 TA). They are perfectly flat.
myduals1.jpg