ATR Style Header Question

peterkin

..it isn't rocket science
I just installed mine, with studs, and that middle passenger side bolt is a BITCH! Is there some special tool to get that thing tight? I had to pull the starter to even get on it with a wrench that I heated with a torch to bend. What's the trick? I'm thinking of buying another set of headers that are stock style, but better quality than stock, just to not have to deal with this issue.

I can get to mine with an open end wrench not fun, but not a big deal...real atr's don't know if that's the difference.

I have ATR's on both cars but it's not that bad...14mm open end from underneath the car but I use all bolts

I'll pull the header off and try a bolt in that hole then. I can't get it sealed and that's truly important on a turbo car...as we all know.

A header bolt with a 3/8 or 7/16 head on it fits in there nicely. You can tighten it up and it will hold. Usually its the back bolt on the #6 cylinder that wants to come back out.

Any header SBC header bolt will work. O Reilly Auto Parts had a nice set for $10 they worked just fine.

A header bolt with a 3/8 or 7/16 head on it fits in there nicely. You can tighten it up and it will hold. Usually its the back bolt on the #6 cylinder that wants to come back out.

Tell me about it...I had a nasty exhaust leak on my race car that I thought was valve train noise at first...removed the header and the copper gasket around #6 was black...guess I need to check those header bolts more often...so much for lock washers...

anyone ever use the stage 8 bolts? My car has apparently blown two exhaust gaskets in 10 miles lol

First start the car and run it at 2,000 RPM for ten minutes. THEN quickly reach in there and tighten the bolt up. THEN you can call yourself a MAN!!!! When you start hearing a sizzling sound.........You KNOW you are dong it right.

My twin system is based off of the ATR headers. I just added another turbo inlet pipe to the original one. I'm not sure why you are having so much trouble getting to the bolts. Are they real ATR headers or Chinese version? Or Kenne-Bell knock offs? The ATR headers are not really my favorite version either. I think the TA street headers are the way to go for 99% of those needing headers. Their race version cross over pipe is too close to the fuel return/vent lines on the passenger side IMO.

The OP was asking about studs. I'm pretty sure it's universally accepted that bolts are not an issue.

one of the best things ive done so far was sell my ATR headers and get the TA race headers