ATR 2.5" Down Pipe

Bandit395

Any one here using the 2.5" SS down pipe that ATR made years ago. If so, how is it? I've got the old style 3" two piece that mates up to the exhaust housing. Not really happy with it, does not seem to seal up well and I have the 2.5" one just sitting here. I don't race the car much at all but I run 20lbs boost.

The car has:
ATR 2.5" SS exhaust
Precision GT3255 turbo
PTE SLIC
42 lb injectors
and the usual mods

I'd like to get a 3" from some of the newer venders, but I'm not ready to shell out 400++ for a down pipe right now.

I ran one for years on my GN before going to a 3" Its a nice piece, fits great, looks & flows better then the stock dp.

If you're not happy with the one, and have the other in hand, why wouldn't you change them? If you don't like the 2.5 either then you'll just have to choose which one you like less.

I was just getting some input before I change them out. I don't have much time to tinker with the car lately and I'm trying to find some free time to put on the ATR 2.5.

A stock elbow on the turbo is more of a restriction than even the stock downpipe. So, make sure you port the stock elbow and try the ATR 2.5" downpipe. My car went 11.98 @ 113 with a TA49 w/ported elbow, 42lbs. injectors, and an ATR 2.5" downpipe. Many people have went mid 11's with the ATR 2.5" downpipe. Red went 11.29 @ 120+ through a stock downpipe in the Turbo Stock Appearing class in Bowling Green - Oct. 2010.

Craig

The elbow is ported well, I'm gonna shoot for an afternoon this weekend to switch them out. If I keep the ATR one on, I can sell off the 2 piece 3" pipe.

Atr 2 1/2

I am running one on my car and like it very much. Great bottom end and the turbo spools well. Fit is really good and the exhaust notes are not as loud as the 3 thdp i was running ....

I took the afternoon off today and was able to switch them out. The 2.5" is not sealing well at the elbow. Are you guys using the lead gasket or no gasket at all? I have to do some fitment adjustments as it is resting on the plastic inner fender and melted it a little. Any pics of the 2.5" installed would be helpful.

For the ATR pipe you have to use the stock exhaust downpipe donut. Getting the pipe to fit on some cars takes lots of adjustments. My car had the same issues. I had to install the two bolts at the elbow loose, then start connecting the test pipe / cat at the bottom. I needed to keep moving and adjusting the ATR pipe till it was away from the plastic inner fenderwell and didn't hit on the passenger side exhaust manifold while tigthening everything up. It was a tight balancing act. I've see other cars with this pipe and they had plenty of clearance all the way around. I guess motor mounts, location of how the exhaust after the cat, and how the ATR pipe was bent are all variables. Good Luck.

Craig

Atr

My ATR fit right on, just like the stock DP also used the doughnut to seal it. It is a little close to the frame but not melting the plastic fender well. Mine has good bends.

OK, I'll make some more adjustments on it when I can. I'll als try using the donut gasket to seal it up a bit. Thanks again. To be honest, I was hoping it fit a little better than it is so far. At 2.5 inches I don't understand why there would be any issues, but I'll work on it some more.

Just an update for those who helped out. I got the ATR pipe installed and all seems well. No leaks after some adjustments and the lead donut. Took it for a spin today and the car feels good through the gears at 20lbs boost. I'll probably sell the Kirban 3"er off. Thanks again!

Bandit,please send me a PM with a price if you decide to sell the Kirban 3"