Astro roof install

burnout

Has anyone installed a used factory astro roof? I'am looking for one for my 86 monte ss. And was also wondering what cars will use the same roof as the G-bodies did?

Thanks dave

the factory astroroofs aren't the greatest design & the parts are obsolete... if you are really set on having a sunroof i say have a professional and reputable shop that does this lead you in the right direction... but I think you're NUTS for wanting to cut a hole in a perfectly good roof... even if it is on an inferior G-body car...they're ok until the break or leak..just my 2 cents..!!! hope that helps..

Hey! I have an astro roof car :mad:

.and I agree.:eek:
I wish I had a hardtop mine works OK but there are some issues that arent fun to deal with.

The factory Astroroof is a specialized part. It uses an unique roof skin that has some mounting reinforcements welded to it. In other words you'd have to weld in the correct roof to use one. The roof is G-body only but the Astroroof assembly is also the exact same part used on 79-85 GM E and K bodies like the Riviera,Toronado,ElDorado and Seville.

I would leave it alone, I have an aftermarket moonroof and it broke every year when the car was a daily driver, now the company is out of business and I am debating whether to have a hardtop welded back on or just leave it broke.

I've done an aftermarket sunroof before, on an s-10 blazer
Honestly, after 4 or so years of having it- it developed a leak
when I took it out to reseal it, it had caused the roof to rust out around the front edge to the point where It could have fallen out completely had I been unlucky. I believe this was caused by the bodyshop when I had my car painted- they left bare metal where the plastic trim ring went and thats exactly where it rotted.
Other then that I never had a problem (well, it did have to be replaced about 3 months after I bought it, but that was due to a bowling ball)

If it's installed correctly, its very nice
If its not, it's something that will ruin your car.