ASC McLaren? The OTHER cars

When I bought my Mustang convert new in 1986, the dealer had a mclaren. They were made from hatchbacks Capris and sold at Lincoln Mercury Dealerships. When the capri went away after 1986, they switched to mustang GT's as the basis.

Unlike the factory converts, McLarens started life as a hatchback (factory mustangs were 2 dr coupes with the roof cut off).

McLarens were fairly expensive when new. Comparable to a 380 SEL mercedes (before the Mercedes went big time upscale with the 300/500SL)...way more than a mustang convert.

I think most were auto's so they were much slower too, than your average GT (back then, only girls drove autos)

Originally posted by GN One Day...
The rims on this one look kind of familiar:

http://www.ascmclaren.com/gallery/MCLRN31.JPG

What other cars did they work over?

ASC is American Sunroof Corp which was founded by German Heinz Precter and his brother back in the 60's.

They've done everything from sunroofs to convert production to full conversions like the GNX. The Mustangs were even done at the same facility as the GNX's.

They did the 3000 GT Spyder for mitsubishi and some cars for oldsmobile (Like a toronado with wrap around back glass). They did the shelby dakota convert.

I don't know if they did the 3 '89 Turbo T/A converts or not. If they did, that would have to be my favorite :)

I believe they did the convertible TTA's. They did the thirdgen fbody conv's around those years.

My 1989 Sunbird Turbo GT convertible was an ASC job - they did the other J-body converts too..... (Cavalier, etc)

I think the Saleen Mustangs looked much better than the McClaren creations.... but they did have their own look... and associated price tag :eek: .

-GNX7

Didn't they do the Grand Prix Turbo too?

In '89-'90 while getting my "higher" education I delievered pizzas in my 84 J 2000 turbo to the ASC guard shack...I wanted in soooo bad.

At the time I knew they did the GNX and maybe the Reatta also...man my memory has gone down hill, but I could swear the GP turbo came from them.

My neighbor worked there and was putting the Saturn pwr moonroof in every thing he drove. His driver was a Feistiva with a roof, his wifes LSC had a roof, and his kids 70's Nova had one too.

Kinda a dumpy looking place from the outside but a lot of cool fab work going on inside.

Maybe two blocks north of the GM plant that was building Grand Ams and Calias at the time.

The ASC Mustangs started out as 5.0 coupes, not hatchbacks. You can see them in a photo of Mustangs and GN's waiting to be converted at the ASC plant in the article Car Craft did when they were on the Americruise in their white GSX. Pretty sure that's the article, I'll go check .:)

Originally posted by gn1220
The ASC Mustangs started out as 5.0 coupes, not hatchbacks. You can see them in a photo of Mustangs and GN's waiting to be converted at the ASC plant in the article Car Craft did when they were on the Americruise in their white GSX. Pretty sure that's the article, I'll go check .:)

I think those were regular mustang convertibles. I'm pretty sure ASC converted those, also.

According to the article about the "new" ASC McLaren in the November '87 Musclecar Review, "The McLaren starts life on the Dearborn assembly line as an LX notchback. The doors, door glass and front windshield come from the T-Top parts bin. Supports and bracing used in production convertibles are installed at the front A pillar, the cowl section and the windshield header. But before the potent 225hp 5.0 liter GT engine is plopped in with the automatic or manual gearbox and a 3.08 rear axle, the Mustang GT front facia and interior are installed. The car is then shipped to ASC. The interior is gutted and the torch is put to the top. ASC whacks it clean off from the windshield header to the deck. The front A pillars are raked a few more degrees, and the windshield is pressed in a unique tool that recurves the factory glass to fit the new configuration."

Hmmmm.... then the '86 and earlier cars were converted hatchbacks, because there was no capri coupe.

Now that makes sense. I'm no Ford guy, so I don't have all the facts. Just trying to pass on the few that I do have:D