Art Carr shift Kit

Turbobee

My 87 TR has the shift kit installed. The transmission will not engage when I go from neutral to overdrive but overdrive will engage if I go to D3 than overdrive. Need to know if this is a problem and if it is, tips on how to correct. This has been like this since I bought car.

Yes you got issues.

First of all it should go right into gear. The only thing I can think of is you have a cable/ linkage problem and when you go to d3 and then back to d4 it is moving the cable/linkage where it needs to be. Like when you go from park to d4 it really is going to N
Nothing I can think of would cause this problem. Nothing.
Maybe Chris has a idea, but I bet he tells you what I just did.
Ck the linkage in trans by dropping pan and cking it with the relationship going both ways with another person in the car moving the shifter. Then once you have eliminated that, maybe we can think of something else, but I have NEVER heard of this.

New one on me, but that would NOT be a first.
Always learning, always learning.......and I am interested in what this turns out to be.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

Bruce, thanks for your reply and information. I know hardly anything about transmissions so I'll have to get someone to look inside of the transmission. About the only thing I've done to transmissions is change oil and filters. I don't believe I'm harming
tranny by driving car. I've been driving with this condition for 6 months now, ever since I bought car. Thanks, Ernie.

Linkage/Cable?

Turbobee,
yeah the T used to be mine and I had welded the B&M supplied linkage lever directly to the stock lever(I believe). After that I had a tough time getting the lever to shift into 1st. I never had a hard time getting into OD from N. Anyway the leverage ratio(?) could be off because I might have gotten the length from the shaft pivot to where the (B&M)cable attaches to the B&M lever not exactly the same distance as the stock lever. Might wanna check if the lever got bent/weld broke or even the cable might be stretched.....

Terry

Shift kit

Thanks Robo 1 for the information. I'll check what you suggested and let you know results. Really happy with TR.

Now there is a cool dude....

robo1,.... I admire your stepping up to the plate and saying what you did. I gives him a place to start and you were 100% honest about what you did and why. It really wasn't the correct way to install, but you stepped up and told him of it. You did not have to but did.
One of the last honest guys. My hat off to ya!:D
Wish there were alot more like you.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

link

good to hear you like the car Turbobee.

WE4 you're making me sound like I'm a good guy:rolleyes: :D .

(This idea was from another board member) Anyway, I had welded the B&M cable lever to the stock/OEM cable lever because the B&M one has no provisions to attach the OEM linkage (which actuates the steering column's collar that flags the neutral- safety/reverse/etc.). Prior to this I had disconnected the OEM linkage-to-the-collar & cable Lever and used just the B&M one but I wasn't sure if doing this had affected the fueling/timing/how the ECM functioned. So I eventually did the welding which looks like birdsh!t...but should be holding up fine.....I think.

Turbobee, I think B&M makes shorter cables because the cable in there now, which came in the kit, is kinda too long with the "LOOP" to make it work.

Cable

Robo1,
Finally got a chance to look at xmission problem. Looks like cable is a little bit to long as you suggested. I'll shop around for a shorter cable. By the way, your weld job is holding up okay. Thanks again for your info, sure made it easier to troubleshoot.:)