arrggghhhh and Help!! killed rear psg side sprk plug

artrenee10

Older...wiser...and broker...
Killed the rear passenger side plug by breaking off the ceramic part of the electrode (the upper portion) I have tried everything ball spark plug socket, but is there a size socket I can try to get this thing out? It is broken down to where the nut meets the engine block....
Thanks
Steve Chambers:(

You should still be able to get a socket on the plug "head" and get it out. Just be careful not to round it off or bust your knuckles in the process. If you can get to it, try to spray a little wd-40 or similiar around the plug to help loosen things up.

HTH and goodluck..
:)

not that this will help you much now but if you run the car prior to attempting a plug change they come out easier than if block and plug are at 20 degrees

for better leverage i think i took the spark plug socket pushed it on the plug and then a 3/4 socket (forget if it was adeep one or not) and was able to get right on it with a ratchet .
otherwise try going through the wheel well with a long extension (2 of them) and a ball type universal

when you do get it out a little antiseize helps on the threads of the new plugs

didn't you watch full throttle??? it has to be machined out! now ya gone and dun it!

i'm guessing you just broke off the ceramic part right? no problem at all, i've done it plenty of times. take some air and blow it off reall quick just to make sure nothing falls down into the cylinder, i just keep using the plug socket, mainly because i done' want to walk over to the tool box for another socket. that plug is an sob to get to, you have to use just the right extention, if you have a wobbly extention it makes your life so much easier, but its not needed. just take it off like you would any other bolt.

A little trick I picked up on while changing valve springs. When you go to install the new plug, push a hose (about 8-10 in. long) over the ceramic, and use the hose to spin the new plug into the threads. I've broken 2 plug trying to install them. It is a pain to get out though. Good Luck.

Been there, done that:mad:

there is most likely some build up around the plug that is not letting your socket seat down on it right. Spray some wd40 down around it and let it soak for a few, then blow out around it with air. I found that on that plug it works best for me to us a regulat 5/8 spark plug socket on the plug. Then on the top of that socket put a socket that will fit on it. I can't remember what size it is right off hand but the top of it is hexed so you can use a wrench on it. Then your ratchet on that socket. It will give you just enough room to get to it and not be cussing to much lol. It does not matter if you break it off flush with the nut on the plug, the nut is what takes it off have fun Daniel

The issue I seem to have found is the sparkplug sockets I have are about 3/8" too short and the tip of the sparkplug pokes through preventing the extention to go deep enough into he socket. I now use a socket with a hex on then end and use a socket on that. Goofy but it works.

Update.....

Thanks for the responses guys, come to find out due to me working on the car at night, tired, and in nice 15-20 degree weather in Chicago right now;) that when I broke the ceramic portion of the spark plug, it was lodged down in the spark plug cavity, after a few hours of digging it out with a screwdriver, (no access to a air pump) I fit my ball 5/8th socket wrench over it gave it a few good solid turns and lo and behold it came out.......
Thanks guys for all your help.....
Steve Chambers

No problem Steve! Glad you got it out and maybe I was able to help a little bit from south georgia lol Daniel Ray:D

Thought I was going to have to pull the engine and machine it out........:D Wouldn't that have been something......
Thanks Again
Steve Chambers