ARP head bolt question

mazdatech78

Im about to put my motor together and have a quick ARP head bolt question. I going down to Summit to buy the ARP lube. I need to know if I am going to need some ARP thread sealer too?

James

yes, buy the arp teflon aswell. Be sure to torque the bolts as recommended which is considerably less with the arp lube vs 30wt oil.

:)

Don't use the ARP brand thread sealer it leaks sometimes. Use rtv it seals better or get GM brand. Frank

The question is reguarding bolts, directions state thread sealer for bolts which will allow a retorque. RTV for studs is fine......

The topic of head bolts/studs, torque values and head gaskets will usually follow with a debate

:D

If you'd do a search on GM Sealant tablets, you'd be suprised how often you would find post where the ARP Teflon base thread sealer has failed. I do not guess I have to tell you why I was doing a search on GM Sealant tables. :mad: Many will say my threads must not have be clean or dry, that was NOT the case.

didnt use anything on my arp bolts, and no leaks even with the stock head gaskets and 25# of boost.

No leaks external anyways ;) Coolant seeping to gasket will make it fail overtime. getchasum your right on the money ARP sealer sucks!!!!!!! Frank

Which RTV do you guys recommend? I see one of you recommends the black and one recommends the non-hardening. Is the non-hardening RTV you are talking about 518 red? I use that stuff all the time at work and it works good for what I use it for.

James

I used Permatex No. 2 with great success sealing the head studs. A coworker recommended it. Also, I found a good number of positive posts for it with a general search of the internet.

Something called Indian Head had a lot of recommendations also.

I tried the ARP sealer the first time. It leaked. The sealer clearly looked like it was being partially dissolved by the coolant. The deposits could be observed along the length of the stud. If there was any contamination on the threads (thoroughly cleaned with tap and solvent) then the sealer should have bonded to itself and come off in pieces. Unfortunately, it looks like it is not truly compatible with the coolant under engine operating conditions.

My conclusion from personal observations and experience of others later:
DO NOT use ARP thread sealer.

I just want to make sure I got this right. Am I coating the bolt threads with RTV and lube at the same time? I would think that the lube would mess up the fresh RTV before it has time to cure.

James

Only RVT on the threads, ARP lube on both sides of the washer and underside of the bolt head.