ARG! Help me get my door lined up!

madhat

Ok, so I had the great idea to replace the pins and bushing in the driver's door to fix the sag. Well, I can't for the life of me get it back high enough! I've loosened all 12 bolts on both sides of the hinges and pulled up as hard as I could and it won't get high enough! It's worse than when I started :mad:
I even go two teenagers down the street from me to come and help try to get it high enough - no luck! All my buddies have moved away and so I have no one else to help me. I'm about ready to take it to a body shop and pay the bazillion dollars it will cost for them to spend the 10 minutes to get it right! ARG! Anyone have any secrets to get it high enough? I used the jackto help support it and then tried to lift up the door slightly w/ it but it just lifts the body. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

loosen the bolts on the body , apply some pressure at end of door with a jack and then with a long 3/8 extension (or anything you have handy) and a BFH try to drive the top hinge forward ,
sometimes the caulking around the hinge at the body hold them tight and they need a little persuasion to crack loose

yeah, that would...but I think I can get a body shop to do it for less than the tool :) But thanks for the info, I might look into that seeing as I might need to do this again...I wonder if I can rent it from somewhere...
regardless, note to self....NEVER EVER TRY TO FIX G-BODY DOOR SAG AGAIN....Rx7 doors ok....but NO G_BODIES.

remember, its not just up and down here with a door. You have to move the top hinge a little forward on the car to lift the back of the door and vise versa. Just get your gaps right. Just keep fooling with it and you will get it right. Daniel Ray

madhat said:
I'm about ready to take it to a body shop and pay the bazillion dollars it will cost for them to spend the 10 minutes to get it right! ARG! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I was lucky enough to have a connection to a body shop through my father-in-law and I just mentioned to him that I wanted to correct my door sag. I was hoping for advice on how to do it myself but instead he fixed it while I wasn't there. My father-in-law was there to watch and said it only took about 5 minutes and it appeared very easy. The price was lumped in with my wetsand that he did for me so I can't tell you how much it was. He was going to do the whole job for beer but I insisted that he take some cash too. I'd let the right people with the right tools do it for you rather than attempt to use the BFH, it might not be as expensive as you think.

Beer! Is there anything that it can't do? :D

I just did my drivers door (replaced upper hinge). I think I was at an advantage though. I had the fender off for a replacement. All bolts were easy to get to. I also took the jack up an extra 1 1/2". Once all bolts were tite jack was lowered and everything lined up perfect. Regreting the lower pin and pushing though!

I called one of the resonably priced shops around and he said 50 to 60 depending on how long it took,,I'm going to call around somemore now that I'm back in town.

I DID IT! I had to pull the fender, which was no small undetaking but the body lines are perfect and it opens/shuts even easier than pass door, which is basically new feeling...in other words, this door is great! Oh, that was terrible, but my advice is to pull the fender to get it right!

madhat said:
I DID IT! I had to pull the fender, which was no small undetaking but the body lines are perfect and it opens/shuts even easier than pass door, which is basically new feeling...in other words, this door is great! Oh, that was terrible, but my advice is to pull the fender to get it right!

So when it comes time to do the other side you can do it in what, half the time? :wink: If your like me, you'll forget by then... ;)

The other side is good and I'm not touching it until:
A. I get another car that has terrrible door sag and then I may take it to a shop anyway :D
B. Finally take it off the road and restore it