Anyone with ATR production 3 bolt headers for 86/7's installed on car???

FJM568

I was wondering if I could get some pics of these headers installed on your car...I would like to have some pics of the passenger side only looking down from above the upper control arm and from over the fender looking down towards the motor...I need to know where the crossover comes up at to meet the pass. side header and any clearance shots you could give me from anything that comes close to them on that side of the motor...

I hope someone can help me out here...Email them to me at the address in my sig...

Thanks!!!

I dont have pics but I can tell you there is plenty of clearance.The crossover joins it right about the middle of the control arm shaft directly above it.The v-band clamp is hard to get to with a DP in the way.

Does the 86/7 DP go over the top of the crossover v-band or to the side of it??? If you could get some pics, I would really appreciate it...

My ATR 3" DP runs next to it just a little higher.I don't know about a stock DP.Sorry I don't have the equipment to take pics and post them.

Sorry, no pics either. The crossover joint is basically beside passenger side collector, just above the level of the upper control arm bushings. If you are wondering whether a stock-type downpipe will fit, the answer is no. My thdp swings much closer to the fender before going down and back, and passes almost directly over the control arm bushings and just touches the heater box shield as it goes down. I can't get my hand between the dp and the low pressure ac line, while there's about 3-4 inches between the dp and ac line on a standard thdp.

Terry, thanks for the pics...

Got the pics, but how about one more from between the motor and the ac/heater box looking down??? How close does the crossover pipe come to the starter, etc. down below??? It must be pretty tight down there...Sorry to bother you about this...I will post again later on what I am trying to do and get some ideas...I just don't have any time right now...

Actually, jump into the hotair section and look at my post there for the basics of what I want to do...

Thanks again...

Ok, mine is an 86 TR, not a hot air. The clearance to the starter is large (5" or more). The downpipe goes on the outside of the crossover pipe.

The tight spot is where the downpipe goes by the heater box. That's maybe an inch or so. Not much. One it makes the turn down it's wide open to the cat. Also, the downpipe is close to the rear upper control arm bushing. Close enough you can't put the shield on it.

Tery

Thanks again for the pics, Terry...

I hope my explanation over in the hotair section was clear on what I'm trying to do...

Right now, I'm running a prototype Terry Houston 3" DP for the hotairs...It is actually a Terry Houston upper mated to the lower section of an Action Fab 3" 2 piece DP...Kind of slick...One of the major turbo Buick vendors made it for me to see if it could be done...As of right now, my current headers(Poston's hotair replacement headers) are cracked and I need to replace them...The car is my only running vehicle at this time, so I can't really park the car and do the full conversion over to the 86/7 config at this time and I also don't want to replace the current headers with another set of 84/5 headers because I do plan on doing the conversion at some point and don't want to buy twice...If I can get away with piecing it together a little at a time, while still keeping the car on the road, I'll do it...I just don't want to get it halfway torn apart and find out that there is no way that the 86/7 headers will work and have to put it all back together again just to pull it back apart later to put another set back on...Confusing, huh??? ;)

I think that the ATR headers should work with what I'm trying to do...My DP goes straight down in front of the heater/ac box and takes a turn towards the rear right over the rear upper control arm bushing and from there back, I believe it follows the same route as all the rest of the DPs out there...It's just the area right at the control arm over to the motor that I have some concerns with...I will have to pull my a/c compressor off and make a new up-pipe from the exh manifold to the turbo, but I should be able to fab that up on an engine stand with a spare motor that I have before I install it on my car...

Those ATR headers look like they tuck underneath the flange that bolts to the head to allow a little more room for the crossover connection to come up and mate with the header at the v-band connection...Is that correct??? Unlike the stock headers which just come out to mate up with the main tube that goes to the turbo, right???

Thanks again for taking the time to take some pics...If I decide to do it and get it done, I'll post again with the results...

BTW, if you look in the hotair section at the top in one of the stickies, there is a link to BFH's webpage with some pics of my weird setup...Looks weird, but ran pretty good for as big of a plumbing nightmare that it is... :p