Anyone using a Hooker Aero Chamber muffler on the 3" single shot?

C

Chris Taylor

I am thinking about using a 3" Hooker Aero Chamber muffler on a 3" single shot exhaust system for my T. I have installed several Hooker 2 1/2" systems on TB's and the system is not loud. I want a quite muffler that flows good on a single shot system. Any ideas.

Chris,
I have the ATR SS with the aero chamber. It's LOUD. Not as loud as the Pit bull, nor the drone but its loud. It's somthing you'll get use to :D . I had no choice. Hope this helps...Jim

Jim,

I have 3" single shot with a two chamber Flow Master on my GN and the drone is bad. I don't drive the GN much so I don't mind it. I drive the T daily. It has 2 1/2 exhaust with Flows on now and the drone is very bad. Just looking for ideas. I don't think there is a good flowing muffler that is not loud on a single 3" system. I think I will go wiht the Ultra Flow oval welded muffler.

Chris,
I had the 2 1/2 hooker with the super comps (1st owner ) & I'll tell ya if i known better i would have done the same thing. The drone kinda (I said kinda) takes the fun outta driving. Thats just me. When i get out of driving it my fillings feel like there gonna fall out. I thought i would get use to it but when ever i talk (or type) about it it gets me thinking.....Good luck on your choice...........Jim

I probably sound stupid, but what in the %$#@ is drone? I am assuming that it is the annoying deep resonating rumble of performance exhaust systems.

And you are correct in your assumption!

Actually, drone is OK, as long as you've got your 100W Walkman
on max. volume...then you'll never notice it!

:)

i have the answer

i figured out a way to make my annoying sounding 3 inch single shot with a two chamber flow master sound good....... drive the car for a few days with an open test pipe, then hook the exhaust back up.... boy oh boy the flowmaster sure does sound good now..... : ) hahah.... well once i get all the important things for my car... the 3 inch single shot is going to go..byebye.....:eek:

Originally posted by Chris Taylor
I am thinking about using a 3" Hooker Aero Chamber muffler on a 3" single shot exhaust system for my T. I have installed several Hooker 2 1/2" systems on TB's and the system is not loud. I want a quite muffler that flows good on a single shot system. Any ideas.

I have an ATR Single shoot,a nd with the ATR muffler it was too loud.
So I replaced the ATR muffler with a Ultraflow.
Better but still a lil loud.
So I put the ATR muffler where the cat would normally be.

So with both mufflers, it's pretty guiet, and flows all the air I need to move (60 series turbo).

I just ordered the Ultra Flow muffler and the 3" single shot from Troque Tech. I was looking at a Race Bullet muffler and was thinking the same thing about using it wher the cat. was.

If you have to use two mufflers on a "Single" system, what exactly is gained?

A few pounds from a few less feet of exhaust pipe?

I've heard quite a few quiet dual exhaust systems, including my own. Thank goodness they don't have that bark & cackle "6-cylinder Chevy split-manifold" sound that I've heard from some "Single-shot" systems.

So, if you need 2 mufflers with a "Single-shot" in order to make it tolerable , shouldn't it be renamed?
:)

I have a 3" SS Borla in front of the ATR SS 3" Crossflow (Pitbull) dual system. It's a little louder (inside) than the 2 1/2' Hooker setup with the Aerochambers. Once you get out of the 2000-2200 range it quites down a lot.

The quietest SS aftermarket system that I've ever heard was around '91-'92 at a car event. A guy had a 2 1/4" mandrel bent SS dual exhaust. I think it may have been ATR's before they went to 2 1/2" SS duals. There was no drone. It sounded like the stock system inside, but had a throatier sound outside.

I don't believe that a 3" system in our cars can be drone free, unless you muffle it to death. As the pipe gets larger in diameter it developes a different and deeper tone. Going from 2 1/4" to 3" pipe is like going from a trumpet to a tuba (deeper tone).

I'm OK with the sound at this point, as long as I can keep it over 2200 rpm on the long hauls. :)