Anyone use ProEFI?

BuickMike

Money pit
I've honestly not put any thought into an aftermarket EFI system since my car runs great as is with the TT extender chip and Gen II translator, but today changed my mind. My buddy has a 750whp CTS-V that he uses ProEFI on and the traction control feature is amazing for launches! We got to talking about how it works and he said that I need a rear wheel speed sensor and ABS sensors up front to make it work. Well, it has a speed sensor for the rear wheels and thanks to my gen 2 Blazer front spindles I have ABS sensors up front.

Not that I have money to venture into this now, but it would be interesting to put traction control to work for launches. Right now my car is scary as hell because power comes on stupid hard with my combo. Even with DR's it is impossible to launch this thing. Has anyone gone this far on a TR yet? I know there are a rare few of us that have modern spindles with speed sensors and I'm probably the only one who has considered putting them to work to control traction on WOT.

Honestly I would probably be fine with some type of intelligent boost controller that could bring it on slower in 1st gear, but this all got me thinking.

Honestly I would probably be fine with some type of intelligent boost controller that could bring it on slower in 1st gear, but this all got me thinking.

what sort of wastegate setup do you have?

Bob

"mbc" is kinda generic, how is it plumbed, and how low can you turn it?

I can get it down to 10psi. I have it plumbed like the pic below. It is honestly just a compressor regulator that I use.

wstgate.gif

there are a few different things you can do, some more complex (expensive) than others.

The Gen2 can do some things that might help.

the ISAC has a lot of flexibility for this kind of situation, there are other ideas as well

there are other ways to go also, send me an email and I can send you some logs of some things.

Bob

There are a couple of Turbo Buicks in the chicagoland area using ProEFI. Install and setup was done at Sound Performance.

Very cool list of features if you want to install the necessary sensors. But be ready to spend some $$.

XFI has traction control. Basically it has a graph of timing retard vs rate of driveshaft speed. Installing a driveshaft speed sensor is a snap. You set it up to retard timing (reduce torque) at unreasonable rates of driveshaft speed. It still may not help if boost is increasing too fast. So, you could use the XFI to control boost as well. You don't need ABS sensors though. I'm confused on this......I can't figure out why they would be needed to calculate or control traction issues.

The front abs sensors can be connected as wheel speed sensors. Pro efi will be able to read rear and front wheel speed. If rear wheel speed is higher than front, then it will be sensed and corrective actions can be taken to reduce timing or boost to keep the wheels from spinning. When I rode in my friend's car I was super impressed.

Here is the car

2011 CTS-V Coupe 887HP on nitrous - BMR Built!:

Here is a launch with pro efi. This was early on in the setup and he had it set to kick in at 5mph.

CTS-V ProEFI traction control test with timers:

The front abs sensors can be connected as wheel speed sensors. Pro efi will be able to read rear and front wheel speed. If rear wheel speed is higher than front, then it will be sensed and corrective actions can be taken to reduce timing or boost to keep the wheels from spinning. When I rode in my friend's car I was super impressed.

Oh wow. Yea, I guess that makes sense. I hope it's tuneable. Because otherwise you wouldn't be able to use it if you had different size tires on the front and back. And for drag racing, the best possible traction you can get is when the front tires aren't spinning at all.........because there hanging 2 feet in the air!

Also, I forgot to mention, you could do coil-on-plug with XFI.

He has different size tires, so it is tunable. You can do coil on plug with Pro EFI. You would not use this feature if you had a car that could pull the front end up. This is just an awesome tool to make it simple to hammer it from a dig on the street and not worry about having to pedal it. I was really impressed.

The supercharger whine is not as bad in person. I think the cell phone mic does makes it sound much louder than it is.

sorry, holiday craziness here..... I got your PM, I will respond this afternoon.

Bob

Hey Mike,

there are several of us in the Chicago area with Pro-efi on our cars. The awesome thing about it is that you only need one system to control everything. You don't need to buy any additional modules or anything every time you add feature like traction control, coil over plug, 4l80e control and so forth. It is a far superior system than anything out there and we love it.!

Prasad

Just set up your suspension to hook on the street. It would be cheaper and less complicated stuff to mess with.

Is that Mike Bambic's Caddy? Are you from AZ?
Here is the car

2011 CTS-V Coupe 887HP on nitrous - BMR Built!:

Here is a launch with pro efi. This was early on in the setup and he had it set to kick in at 5mph.

CTS-V ProEFI traction control test with timers: