Anyone Tried 1/2" Head Bolts??

Holy blown cylinder head!!!!!!!!!! :eek: Im still wondering at what power level in your opinion would you consider making the switch to 1/2" studs ?

I have no opinion about what HP level in general. If you want to make more power than your head gaskets seem to be capable of withstanding and you have the other parts to handle the power then it might be consideration!! Thats where I was!! Mike:cool:

I've got a SBC head here that looks like that Mike. Still haven't figured out what the heck happened since it was NA on a dirt car. Iron head as well.:eek::biggrin:

mike,

i have 2 questions.
1) why didnt arp recommend find thread for the block end too? fine thread would have made more thread contact than a coarse thread.
2) the timing cover you have the engine, homemade? i need one of those for my next 350 engine project.

thanks
john
363 buick
283 pistons
351 ford c/rods
174 b&m s/c

mike,

i have 2 questions.
1) why didnt arp recommend find thread for the block end too? fine thread would have made more thread contact than a coarse thread.
2) the timing cover you have the engine, homemade? i need one of those for my next 350 engine project

I had ARP look into making the block threads a 14 pitch (same as the original 7/16 threads in the block) insted of the standard 1/2 -13 pitch. ARP said that it was possible to do but that the cost of the die for their thread rolling machine would put it beyond my reach. They contacted several top engine builders that had done similar things to other types of blocks and they were confident that the swich from the 14 thread to 13 threads per inch would not cause any problems. Looks good so far!!

The timing cover is a Danny-bee belt drive. For discussion on that topic go to the stage 2 section "Danny-Bee belt drives" Mike:cool:

mike,

do you have a better picture of the danny setup? i asked because i am trying/going to build an dohc 350 engine. got most of it figured out in my head. i need to figure out the timing cover, oil pump and how to run the cam belts and the distributor.

thanks
john

From what I have learned over the last few months 1/2" head studs are a wise investment on big hp cars. The 1/2" head studs really helped out the TSM cars keeping gaskets in place longer. I did have some issues with sealing between the cylinders on the TSO engine, the gaskets were fine, but you could see something was going on. If I was going to stay into it, I would have upgraded studs.

mike,

do you have a better picture of the danny setup? i asked because i am trying/going to build an dohc 350 engine. got most of it figured out in my head. i need to figure out the timing cover, oil pump and how to run the cam belts and the distributor.

thanks
john

John:

I hope you're planning on taking pictures and posting them for the rest of us.

I think there was someone doing a Straight 8 OHC on Team Buick.

Best of luck,

Joe

joe,

pictures/computers are not my forte. i get somebody else to do it for me. i do keep a log on the bpg forums for everything i do.

i know of the s-8 that was for sale. it was in a bonneville car. set records of something like 174mph. impressive at least.

i just finished the s/c engine this year. motor work, parts and material was about 5k. the ohc will go way beyond that. material, indexable/replaceable cam/cam lobes, danny-bee and misc will be costly. and then explain to my wife...priceless :biggrin:.

the danny-bee setup will be also good for a hilborn which i'm also looking at doing.

i do like mike's attitude. we will make it work. same as mine.

john