Anyone still using their TR as a DD?

HI85WH1

Shhh... I've got a Secret
noticing I dont see as many on the roads now, other than seeing Gregs the other day, DVUS, and Randy's...

How many of you still drive your TRs daily? and if you do, how far do you drive it.

Mine sits in the garage...

noticing I dont see as many on the roads now, other than seeing Gregs the other day, DVUS, and Randy's...

How many of you still drive your TRs daily? and if you do, how far do you drive it.

Mine sits in the garage...

Daily driven? You crazy! Why drive it every when it's going to get dirty! :D

Mines sit in the garage picking up dust now.......:frown: I drive it 1 a week to charge the battery.

Guy's GN is a DD.

I think Geoff is a DD.

Jeanette's GN is a DD

Greg got a SUV so I think it's garaged now :mad:

Yes very few on the road mostly in the garage now where it suppose to be :eek:

Mines sit in the garage picking up dust now.......:frown: I drive it 1 a week to charge the battery.

Guy's GN is a DD.

I think Geoff is a DD.

Jeanette's GN is a DD

HAHA... Mine gets dusty sitting in the garage, covered... but better than getting wet and dirty in the rain... not to mention RUST... :eek:

I know Jan used to drive Geoff's but I havent seen it in a while.

Oh yeah... the guy from valve service used to drive the GNX daily... but I havent seen that for a while now...

I've thought about starting a daily-driver thread several times. I bet there are some pretty good stories out there.

About 6 years ago I bought an '87 GN with 16,7XX original miles on it. It was bone stock except for an *old* ATR chip and a stock replacement K&N air filter. At the time, I didn't realize how rare it was to have a car with such low miles and so close to 100% stock. It was my daily driver and only vehicle for about a year. And here's the kicker, I parked it out in the open in my apartmetn complex parking lot for the entire year. :eek: Amazingly, no one ever bothered it. My wife and I finally bought a house so I had a garage to park the GN in. Not long after that I decided I needed to stop drving it everyday and bought a DD truck.

I sold that GN a couple of years ago and bought the GN I have now - another '87 but with t-tops this time. This car had about 45k miles on it when I bought it, and has about 46,500 today. I have every intention of driving it as much as possible, but I've had a whole list of problems with it that have prevented me from driving it much. Getting very close to having everything straightened-out and I've been drving it to work 2 or 3 times a week lately. A round trip to work is about 24 miles.

I also like to drive it whenever my wife and I go out (which is very rare with a 4 year old and a 2 year old). I refuse to let anyone valet park it though. A couple of places have let me park it myself in the valet parking area, but a most places refuse to let me park it myself - so we leave. :biggrin:

Our cars hit the 20 year mark which would be consider a "classic". So it's best not being a DD but in my opionion. I use to love driving my T-Type everyday but when the gas prices going up so much got a 4-cyl import to be my DD now.

All the years I have been doing auto security I have not yet ever came across a TR/GN ever getting stolen (knock on wood!) I have seen many regals that got the locks punched out and the stereo got stolen but never the entire car got taken.

Luckily for us, the morons who do the car stealing around here would have NFC as far as Turbo Buicks are concerned..... :cool:

I'm selling the Mustang, so one of the Buicks will be driven daily.....

Luckily for us, the morons who do the car stealing around here would have NFC as far as Turbo Buicks are concerned..... :cool:

I'm selling the Mustang, so one of the Buicks will be driven daily.....

ONE of the Buicks???? Dang..... must be nice.:biggrin:

ONE of the Buicks???? Dang..... must be nice.:biggrin:

^^^ haha... look who's talking....

I'm still looking for an astroroof car here...

As far as thefts go, the market is too small here, if a TR was stolen, we would all know about it... we are fortunate to have a small, isolated geographic region to work with.

I've never HAD to lock any of my g-bodies and never had a break in or theft... (I did lose a 70 SS396 Chevelle though...found it a few hours later... a little shorter that in was when it was taken.)

Drive your GN

Guy's GN is a DD.

I think Geoff is a DD.

Jeanette's GN is a DD

Why do I drive it every day? It's the FUN part of my day.:biggrin: Which do you ENJOY more? Driving your GN or looking at it?(Looking?Get a picture it's allot cheaper) Think about it? Driving a car every day that can take down 90-99% of the cars on the road.:biggrin: Nobody passes you unless you let them. (or they're the 1%);)
Are you saving it as a investment? (Sell it now buy a CD) Or for someone else (Your Kids?)to have all the FUN with the car? :rolleyes: . Been there:( Get your cars out and have FUN/ENJOY them.Your kids are only going to sell them later and buy a ??????. Use your "other" car as a spare.

Why do I drive it every day? It's the FUN part of my day.:biggrin: Which do you ENJOY more? Driving your GN or looking at it?(Looking?Get a picture it's allot cheaper) Think about it? Driving a car every day that can take down 90-99% of the cars on the road.:biggrin: Nobody passes you unless you let them. (or they're the 1%);)
Are you saving it as a investment? (Sell it now buy a CD) Or for someone else (Your Kids?)to have all the FUN with the car? :rolleyes: . Been there:( Get your cars out and have FUN/ENJOY them.Your kids are only going to sell them later and buy a ??????. Use your "other" car as a spare.

I agree with Guy's logic to a point. Big problem is they are getting harder to get parts for (thank god for the vendors) and the local "used part" supplier ;)

I think my biggest fear is some uninsured azzhat creaming me... And FWIW, I'll drive mine if it's not raining....:biggrin: (Like that ever happens in Wahiawa) and I'm not swamped with other projects.

I love driving mine when I can, and I love the looks it recieves.

I get your point also Guy.

But I rather now risk anything happening on the road for now because body parts are hard to come by now especially new ones.

Guy don't forget to turn off your TV when you go to sleep.........:tongue:

as soon as my car is done it will be a DD. an ugly DD.
i have enough garage furniture to add the buick to all that junk
David

The parts will only continue to get harder and harder to find. Does that mean that you will drive the cars even less than you do now?..... :confused: :biggrin:

I'm with Guy on this one... Enjoy your car while you can! Who know's what may happen tomorrow? You may regret not enjoying the car while you could have... Que sera sera.

i have been into these cars 4 years now. my grey turbo t got driven 20,000 miles so far but had tranny problems for about 2 years so has been parked.my blue 87 turbo t got driven 30,000 miles in 2 years more tranny problems been off the road for about a year. my 86 t type got driven about 6,000 miles in a few months more tranny problems.black 87 turbo t has been driven 20,000 miles in the last 3 years needed a front end rebuild then was in minor accident the the front tranny seal was blown out from racing now back on the road everyday. 87 we4 pickup last august with 68,000 miles now has 82,000 . everyone of these cars needs a paint job but guess what i drive them everyday, beat the crap out of them and enjoy everyminute of it. i get yelled at all the time people giving me the thumbs up ,hanging out windows and screaming. the younger guys with the ricers look puzzled when i blow by them with my grandma car. great feeling i wish i bought one of these cars sooner life would of been diffrent for me that is for sure. i also have 2 turbo ta's i drove them and beat them crap out of them before they broke. i have a lot of fixing to do this summer.

DRIVE THEM AND ENJOY THEM !!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

I take my TR out about once a week.Kind of sad though, have to set the boost to only 5 pounds.:frown:
The GN about once a month. I love driving them, but hate cleaning them.:rolleyes:

Tr As Dd

I felt regret selling my 86 GN after reading your posts. I don't know if I did the right thing but frankly speaking I am saving a lot of money in insurance and gas. It sure was a fun driving car.

I still have a lot of extra parts. One of these days, I will make an inventory and maybe Rob will be kind enough to post the photos.

Manny
:confused:

I also do regret selling my '86 GN and it hits me really hard....... as I realize everyday what I did wrong, as I catch the THE BUS for my daily driver. But on the plus side, I also get to meet all the walks of life, that sit next to me on that cramped afternoon ride home. There's alot of time to contemplate life. I hope none of my import friends that I made at HRP recognize me from those Friday/Saturday nights trying to reform them, as I sit waiting on the bench for my bus.
:(

Heck, I missed my 85 WH1 after I sold it to Geoff. I really wanted to finish it but when the MCSS came out of the paint shop I was out of space...

I would drive a hot-air daily... (Had 2)