Anyone running a Ta-61 turbo?

dpok69

Dpok69@aol.com
How do you like it? I am considering purchasing one. My first turbo upgrade.

That's a big first step.

To get the most out of it, you will need 42lb inj and a 2800 stall converter at an absolute minimum. Stock injectors are completely out of the question and the stock converter would be OK to drive around with but won't want to spool the turbo at the track. A larger turbo like this works best at boost levels around 23-25 psi with a stock long block motor. If your car sees a lot of street time and pump gas, you may want to consided a TA49, instead.

I had a TA-61 on my Monte SS. Stock convertor has way too much lag for street use. Went to a TA-60 and am much happier with it on the street. I'll give up a little et to get the drivability back. Upgraded to ATR 2 1/2" stainless and picked up 2 lbs of boost immediately. Expensive,but worth it. If you drive mostly on the street, stay away from the TA-61 unless you have the convertor for it.

We ran a AT-61 on my friends car and it was a good turbo once you put enough stall behind it. with a 2800 stall it was very laggy. We went to a 9/11 converter (3200 stall) and it spooled great.

Before the Budget roller cam killed the motor, the car went 7.0@100 in the 1/8 at 20psi at 4000ft elevation. I let off at 1000ft and it ran 11.75@119....

FWIW I love the TA-61 I put on my wifes Blue T. Car has TA-61, 009's, Tomka Cold Air kit, 10" 3200 stall LU conv, Duttweiller big neck on stock IC, 3 angle valve job on heads and has run a best of 11.48@114. It drives around town great and is a real nice combo for IMO. Hope that helps and best of luck.

Whats IMO?

I need a new convertor and injectors anyway. I was hoping that this turbo would be a good street turbo with the right convertor and injectors.

I just don't want to make a mistake and buy another turbo in the future cause it does not meet my "future" speed requirements. For now i will be happy in the 12's. I also notice that the turbo does not need insane amounts of boost to reach quick ETs . Basically i want room for growth.

But on the other hand the car will only see the drag strip 2-4 times a year.

I am considering a ta-49 or te-44 also cause of possible better street manners.

Thanx for your oppinions.:)

IMO=In my opinion........FWIW when the car ran 11.48 it was at 24-25 psi. I think the 61 will fill your needs and I am sure many have gone faster with the 61. IMO buy things once for where you want to go you'll be happier in thr long run. Best of luck.

Originally posted by dpok69
Whats IMO?
I also notice that the turbo does not need insane amounts of boost to reach quick ETs .

Don't fall into that trap. A TA61 will need to run more boost than a TA49/TE44 to run equivalent ET's until it gets close to its sweet spot (23-25 psi)

People running low 11's with a TA61 at 21 psi have ported heads. Big power at low boost is more a function of head flow than turbo size. A TA 49/TE44 will run low 11's at 21 psi with ported heads also and do it with the stock converter.

Very intersesting.......

Damn!!!!! Its so hard for me to choose the right turbo. Is there anything in between ta49/te44 and ta-61 to make it a compromise?:)

I dont thing i will ever need to go into the tens for fear of braking parts on my car since it is a daily driver.

What are the max psi i can run on the street with a ta49/te44 and
ta-61 on 93 octane assuming my engine has the right injectors convertor, and is well tuned?

I plan on getting the SMC kit also to complement turbo in the future for higher psi on the street to Kill souped up Mustangs.;)

With 93 octane and no additives, 16 psi is probably the max boost you can run with any of them and at that boost level and a stock longblock, the stock turbo may actually be quicker due to its quicker spooling.

Well, I guess I'm in the minority here! On my WE4 I ran Blue Tops and a stock converter with my TA61 and really liked it. Best of 12.15@114 w/ 1.97 60' at about 24-25 psi boost. 60's stink 'cause I'm trying to use street tires, so don't pay too much attention to that!

I thought it was a little too laggy for a while, then found out my MAF was marginal. Replaced that and it was like a different car! The only reason I have since switched to a 2800 12" is because I toasted the bearings in my stock D5. Course, I just switched to a PTE .85 housing on it, so we'll see what happens.

I like doing my thing in full street trim, and on the street some lag isn't always a bad thing, IMO. If you're spinning, you're losing... a little lag can let the tires get a roll before you ask too much of them too quick! My GN's stock turbo comes on so quick you can forget about traction till 30 mph.

BTW, I am running pump gas and alky, and have toyed with as much as 26 psi boost, but not at the track... yet.

Just my opinions...

If you're going to be running stock converter and small injectors go with the TA-49. You'll notice a big difference and you won't get a lot of lag with the stock converter.

By golly i think i have figured it out! I think a pt-51 would be good because it has spool up characteristics of a te44-ta49 and power on the top end (need that on the highway;) )

The only thing that scares me a little is that numerous people have reported failures of these turbos on this site. But i dont know if me fears are really founded. Need to do some more research, but it looks like pt-51 in my car. (by the way i heard that the ta-61 have smaller shafts in them that are prone to failure too)

A PTE51 will need a converter to be as quick off the line as a 44/49. The turbine wheel is more free flowing than the TE44/TA49 wheel and you pay for it in additional lag, ie the spool up characteristics are NOT the same.

I see a LOT of people buy 51's under the assumption that "a little more couldn't hurt". In my opinion, if you want a "little more" put a PTE turbine housing on a TE44 or TA49.

I've gone 118 with a stock intercooler with a big neck and a garrett turbine housing TA49 on a stock long block at 23 psi of boost and others have gone faster. When I get my car back together, It should run close to 120. Without a PTE turbine housing, with a stock intercooler, through full exhaust in a full weight, swaybar and big brake equipped T-type. It's a PROVEN turbo and part of a proven combination.

About lag.......

I think i've been living with a 1800? stall regal convertor (it says d7 on it) and tranny on my stock turbo since i bought the car. My car never looses traction unless its raining when i punch it at 15-17psi and even when i power brake :( . Actually because of this setback, sometimes i think my old mildy souped, '90 turbo mitsu eclipse would dust my GN.

So i am definetely gonna replace my convertor with an affordable 12" 3000 rpm stall convertor (orange stripe?...around 250$) anywayz.

I am "used" to the lag by now and the pt51 would probably be a noticeably quicker spool up with the 3000rpm convertor. In knowing that do you still think it is wise to goto 44 or 49? I know alot of people end up buying a bigger turbo down the line anyway. I just wanna buy once and be happy. But i am still considering the 44/49.

Before i invest in a new tubo, i will have the convertor changed out, and play with my stock turbo until it really starts leaking oil bad.

I have a 51 with the stock converter and with a little more tuning I think I can make it spool quick but not as quick as the stock turbo but it is tolerable. I am definitely stepping up to a 9inch 3000-3200 stall with it though.