Anyone running a 350 or 400 tranny?

InHock

I had my 2004r rebuilt by a family member who is a GM trans guy. I know,I know, but he said he could do it. Now after about 300 miles it is slipping under mild power as it shifts into 2nd.I told him that the GN trans are different than the ones he has rebuilt but he was sure he could do it. He and I are going to have a talk tomorrow[he doesnt know this yet] and I am going to try to get my money back. I was thinking about a turbo 350 because I can buy one of those that are built alot cheaper than buying a 2004r built. What I want to know is if anyone has done this and if it is the right thing to do or wait till I can afford to have my trans fixed by someone who knows how.{Funds are really short now}

I'm thinking about building a 400 to put in my car, I keep shattering pump rotors in the studpid 2004r.

I just finished instaling my all new inerds TH400. I went with a man/rev valve body with an internal tran brake. Then bought a $700 torque convertor 3800 stall. New quicksilver shifter. New driveshaft. All in was about $2200 with me installing everything. A rebuild of a TH2004R by a really reputable builder is about 1500-2000. In my opinion the TH400 will always be stronger.
Mitch

To save starting another thread. Do you still use the same flex plate? I've got a built trans braked t400 and convertor from Mikes Transmissions being sent to Australia too.

TH400 all the way. I never looked back. You suffer a little on the street. But headache free...:smile:

Drive your 200 in 3rd and see if you can tolerate it. That is about the same as going to a 350 or 400. You didn't mention your usage/ miles driven on your car so it is hard to tell what to suggest. Mine is a daily driver that sees lots of highway time, so lots of MPH. I don't have any intention of running a 3spd while being a driver. Maybe after I break the 200 with the next motor build...

I have drove my car in 3rd to see if I would like it and I can say maybe not. I dont drive it as a daily driver just on some weekends and I want to race it some. I have some guys who are gunnin for me but I cant ever get to them cause everytime I start to go after them my trans always goes south! Now, about the 350 or 400 do you have to make any mods to the tranny tunnel or will it fit ok? I have been told the 400 will rob you of about 50hp,is that true? I dont know how much the 350 robs? I have also been told the 400 has a lower first gear than the 350. Is this true? Does it have a lower first gear than a 200-4r? I would like to know the answers to these so maybe someone who builds trannys will chime in.

No, the 200-4R has a lower first gear than both the 350 and 400. The 400 is the tallest, although only slightly taller than the 350.

200-4R - 2.74
350 - 2.52
400 - 2.48

I don't know man - I now have a 400 with a manual valve body and I really do miss that extra gear driving around and I have to think keeping the motor in the power band zone versus having it rev higher is not as good. I did go faster with the 400 but I think it was only because my 200 was slipping. Now I am trouble free but really thinking of going back to the 200 and try one of the known builders. I am going to even go with a lock up to get that extra rpm drop while cruising. My 400 has been bullet proof and has never slipped or anything soooo...you will have to see if you can live with the higher rpm cruising or not.

not much help for you I gues...hehe

I seldom take my car on the interstate. I'm not made of money and I will stick with the th400. If money was no issue I would have a bulletproof 200. After building the 400 I don't have the fear in the back of my mind will it survive the launch. I had a extreme automatics 200 in the car when I bought it. I was told it had a billet input and forward drum. I switched to the 400 while the 200 was still good instead of blowing it up and have no value. I would have kicked myself in the a$$ if I had destroyed it first. There is original an awesome thread on here about building the th400. ..... did the same thing with my rear end. I built a 9" and installed it and still got 950 for the 8.5 with matching driveshaft to offset the cost of the upgrade.