Anyone Real Sharp On Architectural Shingle Roofing?

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
Looking at having the house re-roofed.

Would like to know what companies & types of shingles I should use & which to avoid.

What about the various types of underlayment materials?

Finally... Fasteners. The roof is typical trusses & 1/2" OSB sheathing. There are no nails penetrating through the sheathing into the attic space, with the exception of a few 8d "shiners" that missed the truss. I'm being told that 1 1/2" nails are required for shingle warranty purposes. When I used to work construction, complete penetration was frowned upon. I don't want a bunch of nails poking through into the attic space.

Thank you.

I just had my porch re-shingled. The company said GAF is one of or possibly the top brand out there. They used ice and water shield instead of tar paper as it supposedly repairs itself in the event of a puncture. As for roofing nails, I have plenty of nails that protrude through the roof decking and there is no issue. I expect that the warranty claim is probably true. I myself used Tamco shingles as it was the best match and the roof is 13 years old. Since I was doing a small section I was more worried about matching the old stuff that lifespan. I will need a new roof in the next decade anyhow I am sure. Hoping for a big hail storm!

Have you considered metal roofing? They have some that looks almost exactly like a shingle roof but last much longer,

Nail penetration is normal. Get 50 year shingles, trust me on this one

The re-roof is due to hail damage & covered by my home owners insurance.

I was told that the existing shingles are Tamco. I need to match the existing shingles.

Any idea of the additional expense?

What is the difference between a 50 year shingle & a 30 year shingle? Thickness?
Not much that I could tell, Most people have moved and or their dead. (50years). Just like 30 year treated wood, l have never knew anybody who took back a 29 year old piece of wood for warranty. And also have the receipt. Now I have the 50 year deal, that means I’m good until I’m 105 years old. Oh boy

IMHO putting on the best shingles that will outlive you is a very good idea. The reason I say this is resale value. If you or your kids decide to sell your house, having 50 yr. shingles will be a good selling point.

IMHO putting on the best shingles that will outlive you is a very good idea. The reason I say this is resale value. If you or your kids decide to sell your house, having 50 yr. shingles will be a good selling point.

Agreed, if you're planning on living there or passing it on to family. If you're gonna flip it, go cheap. Also, it sounds like your roof was fastened with staples instead of nails. Contractors love them cause they're easy and take less time. I would never have them, but that may depend on where you live. I don't believe you can even get insurance on a stapled roof here in hurricane alley...

More important than choosing a particular brand is finding the right roofing contractor to install them. The best shingle in the world installed by an incompetent roofer will not get you the long term results you expect. On the flip side, you could have a cheap but decent shingle installed by GOOD roofer and get great results.

Anomalies aside, material failure on any decent roofing product is not that common. Should failure occur chances are it will be linked back to improper installation or damage from outside sources.

On the subject of warranty I can tell you first hand getting warranty service from some of these roofing manufacturers can be a very frustrating experience. Getting them to come out may not be as easy as you'd think assuming they're still around 30-50 years down the road. If and when they do come they will look for signs of poor roof maintenance, improper installation, damage from outside sources, etc, etc. Anything to absolve them from honoring the warranty you paid good money for.

Sorry to sound all doom and gloom. I work for a University that has over 200 roofs and dealing with roof manufacturers is always a challenge especially when trying to make a warranty claim 20,30,50 years later. Been there done that many times over... They are really nice when you first buy their product though :rolleyes:.

If you are keeping it for a long time I say go metal roof. I had 30yr shingles installed in 2001 and last year the winds from the hurricane took a few off. And a lot of them had been loosened. Metal cost me the same as going back with shingles. And a crap installer will f up the best roof. Fellow I graduated HS with did my roof and he is real good and makes sure it is right, literally spent a whole day on chimney flashings cause they were jacked up.
IMG_0582.JPG

If you are keeping it for a long time I say go metal roof. I had 30yr shingles installed in 2001 and last year the winds from the hurricane took a few off. And a lot of them had been loosened. Metal cost me the same as going back with shingles. And a crap installer will f up the best roof. Fellow I graduated HS with did my roof and he is real good and makes sure it is right, literally spent a whole day on chimney flashings cause they were jacked up.View attachment 314865
Hey nice looking roof, the snow not so much !!

Mann if you can put metal on. I went with Decra stone coated steel shingles and couldn't be happier. The down side is it will cost ya your first born.. but I'm done. Forever.

Funny seeing this post, I was just on my roof last night to change one of those twirly vents that fell off and I was looking at my shingles. Previous owners installed 30 year timberline brand shingles as a selling point right as they listed the house. 8 years later they aren't looking like they'll make 20 let alone 30. So I can't say I'd recommend them. Most around here use tamco I think.

A squealing turbine vent bearing is what kicked off this whole adventure. :confused: The sun cooks the shingles enough that the granules loosen up & end up in the rain gutters after the wind & rain comes along. Then a few hail storms later, there are pock-marks where the granules are completely missing.

I've been reading the warranties from various shingle manufacturers. They include enough loop-holes, etc, that there isn't much warranty.

Your home owners insurance is your best warranty.

Do you guys have soffit and ridge vent?
Having proper ventilation will cool the sheathing and shingles and extend the roofs life.