Anyone know of a jig to check valve lift?

ThikStik

My sleep apnea is winning
Well , my 206/206 hyd Comp cam may be dying on the #3 exh lobe. I can visually just detect with valve cover off and at idle that rocker seems to be just moving a tad less. I dont want to pull manifold. I cant find a way to jig up my dial gauge to verify lift amount, any ideas, tool recommendations? I have suspected that this is what is causing double dig K at around 4500 rpm from a dig, and even a free rev at 4500 rpm gives the same double dig K. My CP pistons are so noisy , (probably had a machinist drop one, thereby messing up P/bore clearance) that they may be triggering some false K.

Hell, its been almost 10 k miles, its time for a motor job...what am I thinking.

did you check the harber frieght cat.? they have a magnetic base for a dial indicator and they are fairly inexpensive. I think they are around 10-15$ :confused: I don't have cat. w/me, but you can go on line and look it up. :cool:

found a flyer- gauge and base is $15.- Just base is 7.99 It's harborfreightusa.com

A simple way to check....

A quick and simple way is to remove the valve cover, remove the rocker assm. then leave the pushrods in place. rotate the crank until the exh pushrod for the suspect lobe is at the base of the cam lobe. Then with a black marker, touch the side of the pushrod using the head as a brace. Then have someone rotate the crank until the pushrod comes up and stops. Remove the marker. The marked line left behind represents the lift. Do the same procedure for another couple of exh. pushrods. Then pull them out and mearsure or put them side by side and see if one is shorter...you can get fancy and measure the line with a dial caliper to see the lift. If it visually looks like the valve is not opening as much as the rest you should be able to see the difference with the marked line. You may want to clean the pushrod first with carb cleaner and mark it with the cyl. # so you do not get them mixed up when you remove them.. Just my 2......

Shadow, thanks for info. Even if its a one time use, thatll work.
Texast-Guess what, I put a gasket scraper against pushrod and turned starter with the remote. Well, I was just unsure about the marks left behind and unsure as to how well the scraper stayed in place. So your method sounds great. I also thought about placing a straitedge against valve and marking, but when the movement is not captured "live" , there is lifter bleed down so Im wondering if that may foul results.
Thanks

yeah, that is why I remove the rockers, so there is no spring pressure to compress the lifter. Hope it all works out for ya...