Anyone know a lot about the old Dodge turbo cars?

kenny

No turbo, no care.
I'm thinking about buying a 86 Omni GLH... but I want to know what I'm getting into before I do it.

I've been reading www.thedodgegarage.com but I'd still like to know more.

How reliable are they? Normal problems?

Any other sites or forums I can read up on them at?

TIA. :)

They were pretty quick back in the day. In the early 90s some
came to the Buick showdowns in Englishtown. One in particular
sported Grandnational Killer on rear side. Their is one at a local
track racing around here. :cool:

Very similar to the turbo buicks. Pretty big motor considering the size/weight of the omni. 2.2 + Turbo + Omni = fun! The 86 GLHS Omni came with koni's all around. They respond very well to mods. I beat the hell out of my 86 GLHS Omni, and it rarely gave me any problems. First thing to go on that car will be the transmission. It comes stock with the 525 (weak link of the car). However you can pick up a 555 or 568 from a junkyard and not worry about breaking it again. I miss that car.. :(

I want one too. But I have 2 toys and I don't want to give up either one. To get the GLH, I would have to. :( Well, I might sell the Poncho; she's been around for a long time.

I currently beat on an 89 daytona turbo 2.5.

Car has 170k on the dial and all I have ever replaced are brakes, radiator, waterpump, hoses, and belts (Timing chains too but that is preventative)

Never had it in the shop and the thing still pulls like nuts. Doesn't burn oil and only leaks a tiny bit. I ran Mobil 1 15w50 its whole life.

I love the thing. Not an Omni but still a trubo Dodge.

I was always able to keep up with the 5.0 in the day. Could not pass them but they could not get away from me either :)

Why have I seen so many all burned up in the junkyards? Was there something inherent to these that causes them to catch fire?

I always like the Shelby Daytona.. I'll pass on the Omni's though. ;)

I owned an 86 GLH.. FUN AS HELL! Best time on Street tires with only timing advance was 13.2.. It was amazing a car as small as that would dominate as much as it did..

BTW: Shortly after that 13.2 I blew a rod.....:( then I traded it in.

I know that they scream for what they are. A good friend of mine races them and and autox's them right now he has a '83 shelby charger and it runs 12.68 at 109mph also ther is a guy named gary donavon (im not shure if that is how you spell his name. that had a turbo Minivan (dodge accually made a turbo minivan:D ) that he run 14.60@ 90 MPH he is a big time turbo dodge guy his website is www.thedodgegrage.com

I used to beat the hell out of my Plymouth horizon that had been converted into a GLHS. That's "Goes Like Hell, Son". I'd change the trans almost as often as the oil. Got pretty damn fast at it. The actual Shelby cars had an intercooler and 555 trans. I had a Mopar intercooler kit but the 525 trans. Eventually converted to cable linkage since the rods are also crap.
I beat a GN once in it. He had run a best of 14.6 and my best was 14.7 at that time. I SCCA'd it also, great handler. Perfect beater. If you can go easy on the tranny or find a 555. I could never find one here.
Great gas mileage, CHEAP to buy, mine had ridiculously frigid A/C, handles, quick, damn, I gotta find another one!

Go look for the current issue of Grassroots Motorsports magazine. They have a complete rundown on buying/modding the turbo Mopars. Very comprehensive with a couple really cool examples in the article. Makes me wanna buy one, too!

ihad a '89 daytona shelby w/ the 2.2 turbo II and a 5 speed. it was a fun car would keep up with a stock 5.0 did not have to many problems with the car just had a problem w/ the distrubter pick up, coil, and computer. but i think it was more a milage thing and then some bad parts. after i got that fixed was a very dependable car.

I've had a couple turbo dodges in my day. Those 2.2/2.5's are awesome engines! I've got a N/A 2.5 right now with 180K on it that has worn out two cars and this weekend will probably finish installing it in the third! :eek: I'm gonna see just how long it will last. The only ones to stay away from are the 1991 dodge spirit R/T with the Lotus designed 4-valve head. I think they may have also put a few of them in daytona shelbys but don't know. The Spirit R/T puts out 224 hp STOCK and runs very low 14's with no mods. BUT, they were plagued with problems like cracked heads and timing belt failures and parts are hard to find so you should probably avoid those. Other than that, go for it. NOTHING could beat the look on a teenagers face when their 5.0 mustang gets it's @$$ kicked by an OMNI! :D

bob

yo kenny, didnt i ever tell you my first car was a 86 dodge daytona shelby z? pretty badass car, 2.2 turbo II motor, 5 speed, t tops, shame i had to get rid of it because it needed about 2000 in work. (ironically i later bought a gn that has required to the tune of 5 g's in repairs) cars are a bitch, but i always liked those little dodges.

Forgot to add.. if this is going to be a daily driver, and noise bothers you, make sure to buy one that does not have the balance shafts removed. Mostly everyone removes them for free 15hp, but it makes the car pretty loud, especially with a 3" dp/exhaust.

build a '89 up 2.5 common block with JE pistons, TBI cam, G head, '89 up intake, tb from 3.0 (52mm), hybrid turbo, good A413 or manual 555 or 568, 52lb injectors, Relentless FWD performance cal, and have fun.

By the way, Gary runs 9's in his K CAR, Paul Smith run 12.60's in his minivan...or very own Terry Ryan is running a 12 sec van also.