Anyone into fiber optics?

C

COPTZR

I have a buddy that wants to sell his FITEL S175 v2000 Fusion Splicer. The thing has barely been used and looks brand new. The case is there and it also has the Norscan Grond Block and a DC adaptor w/4 extra tips. It's compliant with a Fiber Cleaver and can splice silica glass-based fibers incorporating SM, MM, DSF, EDFm with suitable coating diameters in the range of .25-.9mm
Anyone interested in it probably already knows all that a bunch more that I barely understand so I wont' go on and on about it, but it's a real nice one.
They do have the new 176 out now that's even faster and supposedly just better suited for multiple tasks, but they're also about 24 big ones to buy. This one he wants about $9,000 for, but he's in a bind so he may work somethin out on a partial trade to related equipment, tools, car stuff, etc etc. If interested, please email me at coptzr231@aol.com

Doesn't sound too ugly of a price if it's all there.
If I were still doing that, there might be some interest. But not out here in the sticks where I'm at now :mad:

Yeah, it's a good price considering what it is and that they still retail this model at over $14k. Some guy has one on Ebay for sale though, so we're gonna see how he does with it. If it sells for anything close to what Nick wants from this one, we'll probably put it on there and take whatever it brings.
He's actually considering selling his LS1(TA) car if he can't move this piece of equipment soon. Hopefully things will pull together for him and business will pick up so he won't have to liquidate anything at all.

The ones I've done are all by hand :eek: Equipment is cheap that way, but boy does it take a long time to terminate a single fiber, and errors are common. Good finished product if you know what you're doing though.

Wow...I didn't realize people did it by hand. That must be a lot of work. I think they said this one can make a splice in about 12-13 seconds.
The new one(176s I think...) does it in slightly under 11seconds.

Nice thing about it is that it automatically analyzes the fiber type from Single Mode, Multimode, and Dispersion Shifted and will then load whatever suitable splice program is needed.

Hey man, figured I'd mention if you need parts to fix that car that's shown in the pic you put a link to in the sig...let me know. I've got most everything that it looks like it needs.