Anyone Hydrodip? or water ink transfer?

VtheGNMan

I had some off color interior pieces and have been experimenting with the water ink transfer or Hydrodipping process. Anyone else here try this? I have just been using a Carbon Fiber ink pattern so far. I have been using a kit from Ebay from a company called MyDipKit. It takes some practice to get the right transfer but I really like the look so far. Not for purest but I have the original trim pieces too if I want to swap back.

Here are some examples:
Center council shift plate and ash tray.
PC kick panel that hides behind the actual PC trim piece. I was only trying get covered where it was visible when installed.

Anyone else try this?
Any tips or techniques for the more difficult items with multiple spots for air to get trapped?

Attachments

• 102_0699.JPG
    102_0699.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 291
  • 102_0701.JPG
    102_0701.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 305
Look pretty good to me. Id like to try some DIY stuff myself on my hybrid project. Quick question... you have to clearcoat over the top correct?

Thanks Scott. The more intricate the molding the tougher it is. Yes, you apply a clear coat over the top as the final touch. It takes the ink from a flat/matte finish almost and gives it some rich glossy depth. You apply the clear to whatever your desired look is.
Very durable stuff too. I have a couple pieces to re-do and you have to sand it down. I've just painted trim pieces before and the lightest scratch and the paint almost just peels off. This stuff will withstand abuse.

I'm just starting to do this with my high school graphic arts classes. I'm experimenting now so the kids will be successful at it. It might be tough, as I've been struggling with the right amount of activator, and dipping angles, and possible water temps. It's tough to get it perfect.

The videos online make it look easy.

I'm just starting to do this with my high school graphic arts classes. I'm experimenting now so the kids will be successful at it. It might be tough, as I've been struggling with the right amount of activator, and dipping angles, and possible water temps. It's tough to get it perfect.

The videos online make it look easy.
Are you starting with a base kit? Like the MyDipKit?

No, using some different sources for stuff. It's difficult because I have to use a purchase order to buy supplies, and not all places accept them.

No, using some different sources for stuff. It's difficult because I have to use a purchase order to buy supplies, and not all places accept them.
I can understand the difficulty then. You probably need in bulk too. You've probably watched a lot of videos but there is a great series on MyDipKit about troubleshooting, helpful suggestions and commonly made mistakes.

I didn't have a tank big enough so I had a local dipper do these for me.
Carbon Fiber inner fender wells.

Attachments

• 102_0767.JPG
    102_0767.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 239
  • 102_0769.JPG
    102_0769.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 216
That turns out really good. For the smaller stuff how big of a tank are you using? old laundry tub or something?

I was using a big storage tote. You can then suspend or float painters tape on the surface to reduce the size according to the size needed. Makes it easier than having all sorts of different size tubs.
But these fender wells were way too big for anything I had. Would need a large cattle watering trough! or an used hot tub!

Bumping this to the top so it's easier to find. Getting comments and questions on another Engine detailing thread. Referring over to this thread.

Claude sent me a gauge pod to have Hydro Dipped for him. It turned out great! He will provide an after picture of it installed in the car with his carbon fiber faced gauges installed later on when it is reinstalled.

Attachments

• 102_0842.JPG
    102_0842.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 156
  • 102_0843.JPG
    102_0843.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 162
I also had dipped the Heat Only Firewall AC Delete Cover from AGM Industries (acdelete.com). It didn't turn out perfect though looks really good. There were a couple spots the carbon fiber pattern swirled a little bit due to all the bends and curves. Should not be noticeable though once everything is assembled all around it and in a complete engine bay.

Attachments

• 102_0783.JPG
    102_0783.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 116
  • 102_0844.JPG
    102_0844.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 154
  • 102_0845.JPG
    102_0845.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 178
  • 102_0850.JPG
    102_0850.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 130
Claude sent me a gauge pod to have Hydro Dipped for him. It turned out great! He will provide an after picture of it installed in the car with his carbon fiber faced gauges installed later on when it is reinstalled.
As promised, here are some "before - after" pictures of the gauge pod Vince had done for me. I am very happy with the results… THANK YOU VINCE! (y)

Claude. ;)
DSCN3236.JPG DSCN4804.JPG DSCN3235.JPG DSCN4810.JPG

No problem at all! That looks great with those gauges Claude!
Thanks for posting up the before and after pics too, this is such a cool process!

Engine Wiring Harness Cover that runs by around drivers side valve cover.
Dipped in Carbon Fiber with high heat resistant clear coat.

Attachments

• 102_0912.JPG
    102_0912.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 131
  • 102_0913.JPG
    102_0913.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 122
Check out kansashydrographics.com
This is where I purchase most of my film from.

Parts look good

Just finished this up for a member..

Attachments

• 20160221_180851-1-1.jpg
    20160221_180851-1-1.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 95