Anyone here from Missouri?

QuickWrench

Don't Read This
I've been offered a full-time position with a team that's based in the Eldon/Lake Ozark, Missouri area for the 2006 season. I'll be visiting their operation first-hand in the next couple of months, but I have absolutely NO knowledge of the area [or even the region, for that matter].

Any thoughts? I'm originally from Cleveland, Ohio and recently moved to Greenville, SC. Any comparisons or opinions would be very welcome.

Thanks.

well I'll be honest with you the weather is pretty much terrible in the summer atleast, I think we hit 103 yesterday with 60 something percent humidity.

Life is different here than Cleveland, that is for sure. Any major airport is close to 100 miles away. Towns are small and the cities are far. Lake Ozark is a hot spot for weekend boater from the state. It can get real interesting in the summer. Lots of outdoor activities, and I hope you like to drive. Everything seems far away and lots of miles are racked up on my cars every year.

Kind of off-topic, but will see you in Valdosta.......I only live about an hour away, so I'll be there to watch some racing. :biggrin:

Missouri's not bad, especially the Lake area. Lots to see and do in the summer during vacation season. After Labor Day, it's nice and quiet and still just as scenic. Good thing about the Lake Ozark area is that you're only 2-3 hours from anywhere in the state.

Turbo Time, good to see there are more turbo cars out there. I'm in O'Fallon. Only seen a couple of other TR's around.

do you work at the jiffy lube in O'fallon? I have seen an 87 GN parked there and have even pulled up and taken pictures of it with my phone. I had a wreck with my 86 t type but my brother has an 85 GN and he is putting the motor in his, I have an 84 regal with a 355, I really didn't know what I was doing with the turbo six so I decided to go with the small block because pretty much anyone can work on those.

Slo86GN said:
Kind of off-topic, but will see you in Valdosta.......I only live about an hour away, so I'll be there to watch some racing. :biggrin:
Cool, stop over and see us at the Barklage Racing pit. Both cars should be there.

jpratt said:
...Lake Ozark is a hot spot for weekend boater from the state. It can get real interesting in the summer...
I've heard that. Isn't Lake Ozark one of the biggest lakes in the US?

Sounds like it would be a great place for some good motorcycle rides.

92 miles end to end. 1150 miles of shoreline. It is a odd shaped lake. Very narrow with lots of tributaries. The is a cove nicknamed "Party Cove" that you must visit with out kids. I have never been there but the stories I hear are that it will embarass a sailor. They say that if you have a very large boat, you will get loaded up with the ladies.

I actually just moved from Missouri to North Carolina. The previous posts are right on as far as my impressions of Missouri (I lived there for the last 29 years). I have family close to Eldon and my personal experience is that a lot of Missouri (especially the central portion) has a "small town" feel. That can be good, but can be bad too. I recommend spending a few days in Eldon/Lake of the Ozarks and see if you like it. If you are used to having all of the amenities within 10 minutes, it probably won't be your cup of tea. On the other hand, if you want to live in a place where the people move at a slower pace and an area where you can own a decent amount of land, you will probably like it. Keep us updated on what you decide.

jpratt said:
...The is a cove nicknamed "Party Cove" that you must visit with out kids...They say that if you have a very large boat, you will get loaded up with the ladies.
Cool, the team owner has a 44 foot Sea Ray docked there. :) They were talking about that at the last race.

Turbo Time, No that's not me. I've never seen that car. I can only think of three GN's that I've seen in O'Fallon.

Quickwrench, Boating on Lake of the Ozarks is incredible. On weekdays, you can go for miles and not see another boat sometimes. It's like having your own lake. Then on Friday morning, add about 50,000 boats during the summer. Can get a little hectic at times. Off season is always peaceful yet the area has all the amenities you might need. Home Depot,Wal-Mart,restaraunts etc. I would live there if I had a job.

I used to live in KC years ago and now live in Florida, if I had the opportunity, I would move back tomorrow! Went to KC and the Lake of the Ozarks on vacation with my family about 3 weeks ago we had a great time. I also have friends that live by the lake and they like it there a lot. I would take the job and move there.

:cool:

I lived in Columbus, Oh, for a couple of years. I would say that the winters here are about the same as they were there. The summer's are just as hot but more humid. Less snow than Cleveland, no lake effect snow. We usualy get 3-7 inches 2 or 3 times a year. More likely in the spring you will see heavy rains and floods.

Well, I just got back from the Lake of the Ozarks yesturday. I love that place. It is absolutely beautiful. Lots of hills and sights to see. Not much to do in the winter but really not much to do in the whole Midwest during the winter. If you enjoy the water, you'll the Ozarks. I go there every year once or twice a year. I am already planning my 4th of July for there next year. If you've ever heard of the Party Cove, you'll understand why many people go there. The Party Cove is rated #1 party spot this year. Other than the Party Cove, the lake is very nice. Lots of places to hang out. Lots of outdoor activities. The lake pretty much shuts down during the winter and theres a lot of people who go other places becasue a lot of retiries live there. Just my 2 cents!!! ------Jeremy