Anyone good with GN's in Austin, TX?

GlockandRoll

Anyone good with GN's in Austin, TX?

I recently acquired a clean all original 87GN w/T-tops, only 59K miles.
I replaced the ignition pack and plus with OEM parts, and it seems to drive/run pretty good... but smells rich and also doesn't want to shift into 3rd very easily w/out letting off the gas.

My mechanic has given it a once-over, with the scanner, and said it all appear to be operating normally - but I would like a GN wiz to put it under a microscope, any ideas?

Thanks all... 1st post!

☻/
/▌
/ \

Might try setting the TV cable for the transmission.
It is located on the throttle body driver side.
There is a bracket with a black button on it.
Push the button in, then get in car and push the gas peddle to the floor key off.
If that does not work, the governor spring may have fallen out in the transmission.

Rich - I would ID the injectors and then get a new chip from TurboTweak Home.

TV cable

Yes, if you have the TV cable too tight it will stay in gear longer and shift at a higher rpm. As for it running rich you really need some kind of sensor to see how rich you are running. You may a small gas leak some where.

I agree about the TV cable.

If you have the original, or old injectors I'd just go ahead and replace them with 60 Mototrons. Now, even if you don't need them it's a good idea. They trim down and idle/drive very well. And you have plenty of injector to grow into without playing the injector ladder game. I've done a quite a few cars that I put these injectors in, with Turbotweaks chip and made a world of difference. Totally cleaned them up.

Thanks for the advice, I looked under it and it looks as if it has had stainless cat-backs put on it at one time or another... but I'm not familiar with the TV cable, are there pics that show it coming out of the trans posted anywhere???

I agree about the TV cable.

If you have the original, or old injectors I'd just go ahead and replace them with 60 Mototrons. Now, even if you don't need them it's a good idea. They trim down and idle/drive very well. And you have plenty of injector to grow into without playing the injector ladder game. I've done a quite a few cars that I put these injectors in, with Turbotweaks chip and made a world of difference. Totally cleaned them up.

BTW, where's the best place to get the 60lb Mototrons and the turbotweak chip?

I am also thinking about replacing the valvesprings as well.

Chips

I may have a pair of 50 pound chip (street and strip) that you can have. Let me know if you want it and I will look for them this weekend.

I may have a pair of 50 pound chip (street and strip) that you can have. Let me know if you want it and I will look for them this weekend.

Do I need to get the chip to match it?
Also, what about fuel economy when driving in town - not that I use it for a commuter... but I do need to drive on the street.

Chips

If you are getting 60lbs injector it would help getting matching chips. You can run on even the stock chip but, you may run too rich. When you run bigger injector your mpg wiill go down a bit. I am running 72lbs injector and it is not bad. I don't know what king of mileage I get around town, but on the road I get between 24 to 25 mpg. If you can not get the 60 lbs chip, a 50 lbs chip would be better. Your oxygen sensor will do some adjusting.

Got it, what about valve springs and boost control?

The car is bone stock, and I mean COMPLETELY stock. I dont think this car has had anything other than OEM plugs, belts, tires, oil, and batteries.

If I could make it look COMPLETELY stock, and outrun most modern "sports sedans" on super unleaded and get 25mpg on the highway and start reliably in the cold weather w/out devaluing the car... I would be a pig in ****.

And BTW, thanks... really, I'm sorry for the newb questions, but I frigg'n love this car so far!!!

What part of Austin are you in? I'm up in Leander and could help you look over a few things if your still having issues. Thats an awful low mileage car to be having tranny problems unless its been raced a lot. I know a couple things about these old Buicks:wink:

I'm in the Avery Ranch area, very close to you.... however a couple of things. First, the car has been driven about 500 miles and seems to be behaving a bit better.

Additionally, Disco_STU has offered to take a look at it when he comes back into town, and we are talking about some mild mods if I decide to keep her.

I would love for you to see what you think, in the interim, becuase I dont know when he will be coming around this way.

Yeah Avery Ranch is right down the street (I'm on Crystal falls). I'd be happy to take a look. Did you get any kind of scantool yet? Shoot me a private with your number and addy and we will set something up.
Jeff

speaking of injectors...if you only want to run with modern sports sedans but dont plan on going wild...I would stick with the stock injectors and a good chip. Stock injectors will easily put you in the high-mid 12's if its tuned right. Spend the money instead on a good 3" mandrel bent downpipe, and upgrade the fuel pump (if its not already done) and adj fuel pressure regulator. There are a LOT of little tricks you can do to wake up that little V6 without spending a fortune.

Disco Stu spent a little while with her this afternoon... man did I learn a lot!
I could not even begin to tell you everything he told me, but he is working up some stuff to do for me.

What a cool guy - we had a few margarita's afterwords and I have a good feeling about letting him turn it into a 12 sec grocery getter. :)

Disco Stu spent a little while with her this afternoon... man did I learn a lot!
I could not even begin to tell you everything he told me, but he is working up some stuff to do for me.

What a cool guy - we had a few margarita's afterwords and I have a good feeling about letting him turn it into a 12 sec grocery getter. :)

12s are easy. You need to see his mid nine sec car launch.

12s are easy. You need to see his mid nine sec car launch.

I think 12's would satisfy me.
still trying to decide if I want to tamper w/this one w/a chip and alchohol, and cold air intake.

I may just do the maintenance items and leave it alone, sell it, and do a resto-mod frame-off with a leather interior, foose wheels, all murdered out, just go nuts with it.

he's a super nice guy, and I cant wait to go for a ride in his driver.