Anyone done the PM to vacuum conversion?

rileydawgg

I got a great deal (basically free!) on a used vacuum kit from a monte carlo and wanted to replace my very testy Powermaster system. I called my brake shop (which have done great work on all my muscle cars) and they're very hesitant about doing the swap for me because of the used pieces and they're worried about getting enough vacuum, etc. I showed him the writeup on GNttype.org and he said even that writeup seems a little shaky -- eg, he said never use a gasoline hose for vacuum line.

Anybody done this themselves or had a shop do it for them? How much did they charge? and how long did it take? I would just take my car down to Lou or Sod's but honestly, I don't trust my PM's leaky MC to get me there safely (I'm in Culver City).

I thought it would be a quick cheap fix rather than $500 for a whole new PM or vacuum setup... but maybe not... ugh. Any advice / suggestions?

do it your self

even an old fat guy like me can do it, you can too!
took me about 2 hrs, complete, works great! I'd never even think of going back to pwr master,!

I got a great deal (basically free!) on a used vacuum kit from a monte carlo and wanted to replace my very testy Powermaster system. I called my brake shop (which have done great work on all my muscle cars) and they're very hesitant about doing the swap for me because of the used pieces and they're worried about getting enough vacuum, etc. I showed him the writeup on GNttype.org and he said even that writeup seems a little shaky -- eg, he said never use a gasoline hose for vacuum line.

Anybody done this themselves or had a shop do it for them? How much did they charge? and how long did it take? I would just take my car down to Lou or Sod's but honestly, I don't trust my PM's leaky MC to get me there safely (I'm in Culver City).

I thought it would be a quick cheap fix rather than $500 for a whole new PM or vacuum setup... but maybe not... ugh. Any advice / suggestions?

its very easy to do just make sure you get the brake pedal also....im not sure if the brake pedal from a monte can be used but you can get it from a cutlass or a n/a regal

I have the brake pedal too. Do I need any special tools? My collection is sparse at best.

Also, what's the "vacuum block" that I see mentioned in some writeups but not in others?

The vacuum block will have a provision for the brake booster. Large port on the drivers side of the block.

Kirban has them.

the hardest part of the conversion, is bleeding the brakes:D

and DO NOT get any brake fluid on the paint job!!! or you will be taking it to the paint shop instead of the brake shop.

Took me about 2 hrs. to do the vacuum conversion when I did it, but I did re-use my powermaster brake pedal which had to be re-drilled for the anchor pin to fit.

doing the conv. also

i also am going to do the vac. brake conversion i have everything except for time on my hands but people i talked to who own gn's they all say its the way to go plus its way cheaper hopefuly i do the conversion in a week or two after kids get out of school ...good luck and have fun doing it keep us posted on your progress i might need some tips from you ..........:biggrin:

Yeah, I don't have the time, that's why I took it to my guy literally 3 blocks down the street. He said he'll do it, but is concerned about the turbo engine being able to supply enough vacuum under boost for repeated braking. I'm not tech savvy enough to tell him that answer other than the testimony of all the people on this boards.

What is the answer and why?

Yeah, I don't have the time, that's why I took it to my guy literally 3 blocks down the street. He said he'll do it, but is concerned about the turbo engine being able to supply enough vacuum under boost for repeated braking. I'm not tech savvy enough to tell him that answer other than the testimony of all the people on this boards.

What is the answer and why?

The 89 Turbo TA's have vacuum brakes from the factory so i think you will be more than ok ;)