Anyone add Ford ends to a 10 bolt housing???

C

coach

OK,OK,
I just posted about narrowing a 9" Ford, then I was looking at my friends car on a rack. Forget the C-clip eliminators...Im going to take a 10 bolt housing and cut it. Add the Ford bearing ends, and custom order 30 spline axles from Strange. Add an Eaton locker, bolt in the axles with the Ford retaining plates and kill a lot of birds with 1 stone. No more 28 spline axles, no more C clips, and need to fab up the Gbody brackets on a 9" housing. I can easily narrow it 1 inch per side and use my new rims.

Anyone else ever do this???

:D

I would buy the already modded 9" housing w-axles and sell the 10 bolt. I considered what your asking about. The money if I recall was about the same if you do some shopping around and consider the money back from the sale of the gn rear end. The 9" housing is much stronger looking. The 8.5 axle tubes are small and only held in with a blob of weld.

I would buy the already modded 9" housing w-axles and sell the 10 bolt. I considered what your asking about. The money if I recall was about the same if you do some shopping around and consider the money back from the sale of the gn rear end. The 9" housing is much stronger looking. The 8.5 axle tubes are small and only held in with a blob of weld.

Thats the first thing I noticed too. I would def have my friend weld the entire tube. I already have a TA girdle, and the mounts for my HR bar are tacked into place. I def will have to price it all out, but I think it is def a better way to go then C-clip elim's.

You are correct Mike. I have a shop nearby called Master Street Performance. They can add these ends for prob not much more then C clip elims, and be way better off. Custom axles are are easy to get too.
Good post my friend.
Thanks

OK,OK,
I just posted about narrowing a 9" Ford, then I was looking at my friends car on a rack. Forget the C-clip eliminators...Im going to take a 10 bolt housing and cut it. Add the Ford bearing ends, and custom order 30 spline axles from Strange. Add an Eaton locker, bolt in the axles with the Ford retaining plates and kill a lot of birds with 1 stone. No more 28 spline axles, no more C clips, and need to fab up the Gbody brackets on a 9" housing. I can easily narrow it 1 inch per side and use my new rims.

Anyone else ever do this???

Did you ever put ford ends on your 10 bolt?

That is going to be a winter project. I may do an entire new frame and roll it under my car.

Why goof with all that when a 9" can be bolted in?

How about an 8.5 from a 71-72 Cutlass/Skylark? already has bolt in axles, just needs some different arms to correct geometry and it sounds like you may already be buying them. It is a smidge wider so a different offset wheel might be in order. It can go 30 spline pretty easily. Just throwing it out there.

Why goof with all that when a 9" can be bolted in?

How about an 8.5 from a 71-72 Cutlass/Skylark? already has bolt in axles, just needs some different arms to correct geometry and it sounds like you may already be buying them. It is a smidge wider so a different offset wheel might be in order. It can go 30 spline pretty easily. Just throwing it out there.

I already have everything I need, but the housing. I will just order axles when I know the final length. I have the rims I am using, which is why I need to narrow it.

OK Guys,
I got a real nice housing from the South. Now I need to plan this out. I want to do the Ford ends and narrow it to fit my 15x10 Vectors. My next question is to the guys who have added the Ford ends already. Did you use Ford backing plates and brakes? I am assuming I would use 9 inch parts, meaning my aluminum drums and bigger wheel cylinders are now going for sale.
What is the best way to go?

Thanks

That's what I figured. I'm looking for the big brakes like I used on my Pro Street car.
I have 8.5 parts to sell.

If you want to upgrade to discs, go with the ford housing ends. Big bearing early or late will both work fine, just pick a brake kit and buy housing ends to match. You can use late model explorer discs with one of the ford ends for cheap discs.

The GN housing end makes this a little weird, but if you want to keep your drums, you want big bearing ends with the gm bolt pattern. Whoever puts the housing ends on can cut and weld the extra tab for the wheel cylinder onto the new housing end. You could drill the extra holes in the backing plate. http://www.moserengineering.com/oth...-ford-large-bearing-and-non-c-clip-axles.html. This would also be an easy way to put camaro discs on the car.

The ford drums seem like a waste of money when the GN stuff you have is good.

Thanks Mike. I have actually been told that drums hold boost on the line better then discs. I have a transbrake , but still thinking drums. Mainly a street car...but with 850+HP!!!

If you want to upgrade to discs, go with the ford housing ends. Big bearing early or late will both work fine, just pick a brake kit and buy housing ends to match. You can use late model explorer discs with one of the ford ends for cheap discs.

The GN housing end makes this a little weird, but if you want to keep your drums, you want big bearing ends with the gm bolt pattern. Whoever puts the housing ends on can cut and weld the extra tab for the wheel cylinder onto the new housing end. You could drill the extra holes in the backing plate. http://www.moserengineering.com/oth...-ford-large-bearing-and-non-c-clip-axles.html. This would also be an easy way to put camaro discs on the car.

The ford drums seem like a waste of money when the GN stuff you have is good.
why would a larger drum brake be a waste of money? the brake kits are cheap and everything is new ?

chasmat2316 said:
why would a larger drum brake be a waste of money? the brake kits are cheap and everything is new ?

I think what he means...is an extra expense not really needed. I have a mint pair of alum drums and all the hardware. If I chose the correct ends, I wouldn't need to spend any more to have a finished project.

It's not a huge improvement over your factory drum brakes. I guess if your stock stuff is worn out it might be worthwhile.

I checked prices on ford 11" drum brake kits. Currie is $440 and moser is $380. I think I payed a little over $500 for wilwood discs.