Anybody's experience regarding the TA33

racemybuick

Hot Air Teacher/Student
I am looking for facts on the TA33 turbo from John Craig. I was trying to find out the CFM's, the compressor inlet size, the turbine size, and all that good stuff. Basically, I want the turbo, but I want to know everything about it first. Any help would be great!!

John

When I got mine, I did some measuring. I know it is listed at 700cfm. Inlet size measured out to 59mm. I don't remember turbine size and can't find my papers. It did make a hell of a difference on my 85 GN compared to the stock turbo...especially after I made my 3" downpipe. :D

It's worth it, I ran 18 psi on my 33 and dropped almost a full second from running 17 psi on the stocker (bear in mind, I made an injector change as well), and there is plenty of boost efficiency left.

does it have what it takes to go into the upper elevens? I want an 11.90 non intercooled TR, and my turbo is certainly not going to get me there...>So....It's either the TA's from precision, or the JC 33 turbo, both of which are in the same prive range, and claim to be in my speed/et range, but I have seen no numbers from either in a hot air to prove it yet. Anyone wanna testify on either turbo's behalf? Thank you very much, and a special thanks to John Craig for his polite emails.

John

I am curious, where might you be able to purchase a TA33 turbo? How much do they generally run?

Hmm...I checked that site out, but couldnt find it anywhere....wasnt in the catalog either:confused:

not exactly a high volume unit...

call or e-mail john,he'll do you right...

best way to reach john is to email him @ johncraig@limitengineering.com. He wrote ack to me fast, and gave me plenty of info to decide what turbo to use. He is a great help, and if you decide to go with him, just let him know exactly what you want to do, and he'll go from there. Good luck, and thanks for the help guys!

John

TA33 vs. PT54

I used to run a 33 on the car when I first got it, Hell of alot better than stock, you'd have to wring it pretty good to get it into the 11's, the best I ever got it to do was 12.15. Now bear in mind, about the only thing stock about the motor is the block. Now I'm running a PTE-54, with a Turbomotion V3 (don't ask, last prototype Jay ever made) intake, heads, big honkin cam... blah blah...

The long and the short of it is, the 33 is a great upgrade from stock but you would be VERY hard pressed to make it run 11's.

HTH,

Thanks Drew. I got a 30 overbore block now, and the heads and intake are to be heavily ported, or at least gasket matched. The inake is already done, and it seems like a hell of a job. The cam I am looking for is the speed pro 204/214. I hear it is a hell of a cam for our cars, just hard to order. Everything else is in the injectors and exhaust, and I got that area covered. I just need a turbo to sneak me into the 11's, and I will street/show the car for the rest of it's existence....lol....I made a bet that when my car was finished (under $10,000), that I will beat the balls off of my friends $20,000 13 sec Nova. So, to effectively beat the heck out of him in the 1/4, I want to go sub 12 incase he finds it necessary to upgrade his carb or something prior to raceday. I know his car has tons of potential, but so does my car in stock looking trim. Next step is that turbo.
As for your V-3, I bet that baby is a small wonder!!! What are your et's? I will never convert to the IC, but it is a great product for those going to the next step!! Thanks for the info, and if ya got any pics of your car, shoot em my way!

basically if you want a T33c
you dont go out and buy one, generally you would ship your turbo to LImit Enginerring and they mod your stock turbo out.
and they turn it into a t33c
when you get it back you bolt it right back up like the stocker .
It uses your old housing .....

it flows like 700 cfm, i think the stocker is like 350.

i would suggest a injector upgrade if you plan on going with a larger turbo. Maybe 36ers?

i would expect you to pay like $750 dollars

price for turbo w/polish is 830 plus shipping charges---I believe 780 without polished compressor, plus shipping. Prices were as of three weeks ago when JC quoted me for my turbo. If you upgrade your turbo, you should almost immediately upgrade your injectors. Without one to compliment the other, you are just looking for trouble.

John

hey guys i was just wondering what are the right injectors to put in ? wit that t33c turbo set up? and whos h=got the best injectors?

i bought the deplhi injectors that poston sells. for my T33c
i think they are posted as 36# but in actuality they are 37#

i think they go for like $245 a set (6) i think......

i have more then enough fuel for my car
i dont think you would ever have to go bigger, unless you decided on the intercooler conversion down the line......

in that case you might want to get 42s if you see getting the spearco kit down the line......

becuase the last thing you want to do is buy another set after you purchased a set.

the price is roughly the same for the 36# and 42#

i think i have a few pics of the T33c from Limit
maybe ill try to post them on a page or maybe i can email some.

Limit does some awesome work !!!

so the 37s would be good then but thats only if i were to upgrade on my turbo right ? if i were to get the t33c and i were to put 42s it wouldnt hurt or affect my engine in any bad way comparte to if i wer to get the 37s?

when you buy injectors, you have to think about what your gonna do in the future....

i had asked in the message board before.
how far could i take my fuel injectors?
i have the 36 # injectors !

i was told i could take them down to low 12s..........
if your car is close to stock you dont need to worry bout that for a while.

if your planning on just gettin the t33c the 36# should be just fine, make sure u upgraded that fuel pump and adj, regulator.

you just got to remember that, the more air you can push and flow , the more fuel your gunna need to spray.

i think its always wise to have a little larger injector then, you need, cuz you can sort of "grow" into it. And in a sense its always good to know that you dont need to worry bout running lean.

besides they prices of a set of 37s and a set of 42s is very small

hope this gives a little insight
:D

Precision Turbo's ta-48

well i dont know about the ta-33 but i do have Precision Turbo and Engine's ta-48 (there stock upgrade) and yes i mean ta-48 not ta-49. well they claim that it flows 750 cfm, can handle up to 520 horsepower. i like it. i dont work for them this is just my opinion. there phone number is 1-219-996-7832 or web site is http://www.precisionturbo.net

ta-33 vs ta-48

just a little info to pass on that i looked up. all of the figures, sizes, prices came from Precision Turbo (ta-48) and limit engineering (ta-33) directly via talking to someone on the phone

ta-33
can handle up to 475 horsepower
stage 3 compresure wheel
60 trim t04e wheel turbine
700 cfm
$785 w/core

ta-48
can handle up to 520 horsepower
32 mm compresure wheel
t31 76 trim turbine wheel
750 cfm
$775 w/core

is that ta-48 turbo a direct bolt on like the t33c ? and me being all stock right now as we speak can i just install one of these turbos on my car and work fine ? or should i at leats get the basic bolt ons on my engine to better suit one of those 2 turbos?