Anybody Driven in a Demolition Derby?

Weazel

This just in,alky is good
Woo hoo! I just talked with a co-worker that was gonna junk a driveable '85 Ford Tempo. I offered to give him a 12-er of Newcastle for it, and he agreed. So I'm gonna pick it up tonight. It works, it's stickered, but it doesn't sound pretty (dented on the rear, a busted taillight, blah blah blah). I'm gonna offer it to my brother, but if he doesn't want it, DEMOLITION DERBY time.

Just curious who's done it, and how they liked it. Is there any strategy (besides don't get hit)?? It seems like people jump out of the "gate" when they line them up at the rail. I was thinking I'd wait for the pile to ensue, then jam it in reverse and show them what 95 hp of American MUSCLE can do! I'm sure it's an adrenaline rush, and even if I get shelled, it'll be fun times.

Thanks! I'm pretty psyched!

I've driven in Paris and Washington DC during rush hour. Does that count??

the words ford tempo and demoderby do not sound too safe

but does sound fun!

Ah, sounds like fun! Most demo derbies have a class for compact cars. maybe you should make an exhaust pipe coming out of the hood in the shape of a turbo 6. :p

BTW, what was your 60 ft when you ran a 8.35 in the 1/8? I'm trying to get my car in the low 8s right now, but I can't manage a decent 60ft <2sec on BFG Drag Radials.

Thanks,

James

A LOT of work goes into prepping a car for a 'derby.. Remove all glass, weld doors, relocate fuel tank, possibly roll cage, and that car will last about .05 seconds against the full-frame monsters you will encounter..

Donate it to a church for a fund-raiser involving a 5lb-sledge and $1.00/whack. :D

I've seen a couple derbies with the compact cars. Chevettes, Pintos, Celebrities. Seemes that those smaller cars carried way more speed than the bigger classes. There were some really hard hits. Biggest problem for the small FWD cars is when the back end does get all smashed and dragging on the ground, many lack the power to still be able to move the car. They run the derbies around here on watered down dirt most often. The small cars seemed to skip across the mud, where the big ones dug and threw mud around.

Eh, I'd do it if I had the chance, I think. I don't really know any tricks for prepping a FWD car, haven't really been around anyone that has run one yet.

Watch the first part of Jackass The Movie... This should give you an idea of what to expect... And something to laugh at ;)

If you don't enter the derby I have a few ideas you can do:

Get a few buddies together and start your own Monster Garage! Remove the roof with a cutting torch for instant convertible. Add some old lay-z-boy recliners as seats! Turn the trunk into a rumble seat! Add a 10 foot wing on the back to make fun of the ricers! Aluminum foil on all parts you want shiny! Custom paint featuring racing numbers, WWII aircraft style teeth, naked women, and fun sayings. :D Remove the hood because you want people to see that engine! Customize the shifter handle so it's 3 feet high! Cut the grill so it has teeth...

Do you see where I"m going? :D Then go to your favorite cruise night :p Afterwards put the car to death. Run it through woods, hills, swamps ect.. to see that the best sometimes do rest....

James

I know Fonzie did against the Malachie Brothers and won after Pinkie Tuscadaro ventured out onto her hood (ill advised).

The Malachie brothers (Boo Hiss Boo Hiss) using their patented Malachie crunch (sandwiching effect) crunched pinkie knocking her unconscious, Fonzie ever the determined racer vowed to avenge the hurting of Pinkie and single handedly took on the two Malachie Brothers. Two cars against one, Fonzie then disables the younger brothers car leaving a mano e mano grudge match against the older Malachie, who had earlier kissed Pinky, in her efforts to make Fonzie jealous cause Fonzie didnt want her to race in the demolition derby as he felt it wasn't safe for a woman to be in the race. She should have listened to Fonzie.

Fonzie then takes out the older Malachie and there is joy in Milwaukee, Fonzie leaves for hospital after the race to find out that Pinky will be OK......phewwwww.

They (Fonzie & Pinky) then ride off together and do a bunch of motorcycle jumps leading to big time douchepimples.

Thankfully a few episodes later Pinky sister Leather hits the scene and save us with her musical renderings

I grew up around demo derbies and have driven in a few. They still have them around here. Up until a few years ago they had the brown bag partner races one guy drives with a bag over his head and his passenger tells him where to go, awesome fun on an oval track:D
There are many tricks to making a demo car live. Number one in my book is the copious covert use of silicone;)

I have been to SEEKONK speedway in MASS to watch these type races. You need to safty prep work. 100 cars MAX are allowed.
I would say hit with your AZZ end. Hey for a little fun pour concrete into the trunk.. Make it a slammer! :D

Steve,

Was the demolition derby you were in sponsored by the Leopard lodge? and was Richie the play by play announcer and did ya see a guy in a funny looking helmet with a leather jacket running around going "Heeeyyyyyyyyyy"?

Just wondering.

Steve, you were the first thing that came to mind when I saw this topic. :)

I think you did more damage to the Cordoba during your off-road excursion in the mountains, coming back to NJ, than you did in the derby! :p

Steve,

Was your car sponsored by Radio Shack?

Did your Cordoba have fine Corinthean Leather?

Just wondering.