Anybody down south w/FM and F-body radiator??

Warp Six

Enginerd
I have a FMIC, Ramchargers fan, and am in need of a replacement radiator. I've read a couple years' worth of threads on radiators on this site, and the two popular replacement radiators seem to be Nick's (arizonagn.com) and the aftermarket F-body unit.

I'm in north Florida so I need a good radiator, but I'm also on a budget so I don't want to spend the extra bones if I don't have to. Anybody with a F-body radiator and a front mount care to share how your setup is performing in the heat? Is anyone with a FMIC *NOT* happy with the F-body radiator?

One other thing... there was conflicting info on whether the F-body rad has two rows or one. The only one I could find shows one row. Can anyone verify that's correct?

Thanks!

Matt,

I don't have a front mount, but I'm happy with the F-bod radiator. It's a wide single row aluminum core. It still gets up in temp like the stocker did (210 sitting for 30 + minutes in the summer with MAX AC on), but it drops like a rock with airflow, much better than the old one. I'm going to get the Ramchargers fan as well. I installed external oil and transmission coolers, too.

Scott

nick's radiators work very well here in vegas when its 115 dec. outside. with cottons fm. and we all know how big that is!

Matt,

I just installed mine today. I've got the ATR stock looking fan upgrade. E mail me in about a week and I'll let you know how it's working.

RS

I don't have a front mount, but I can tell ya, the F-body radiator does a hell of a lot better job of cooling than the stocker. I used to cruise down the hiway at 75 in 90s temp. with the air on and my temps would be around 195. Now they are 170. Improved cooling in all driving situations using original stock TR fan. I do have an external trans/oil cooler in front of it. You have cash flow problems?..........most junkyards..........$35. ;)

Scott,

Just wondering? Are you using RMI 25? Red Line Water Wetter? Distilled water?

Thanks,
RS

I run the Napa 951 Radiator. 1 core alum, with 1 cooler. Works great, with a stock fan and a powerstroke FMIC, the car rarely goes above 185. I will be doing the dual fans in the next few weeks. My buddys GN with the same setup, but w/ dual fans never got over 165 last summer. HTH

Originally posted by RSTTYPE85
Scott,

Just wondering? Are you using RMI 25? Red Line Water Wetter? Distilled water?

Thanks,
RS

Just standard coolant/anti-freeze with distilled water.

We have them on sale...$120.00 shipped....sold a few of them, and no complaints as of yet.

My book also lists it as a single row...

The Napa, Modine, and my radiator are all basically the same...even the part numbers (mine's 951C).

If interested, please let me know.

Thanks and take care.

Brett

Thanks for the info, guys. I've already noticed a big difference just with the RC dual fan.

At this point I think I've about talked myself into going ahead and ponying up for Nick M's high efficiency recore, since this *is* Florida. In the past, when I've tried to save a coupla bucks it's always come back to bite me.

The Napa, Modine, and my radiator are all basically the same

Negative, the Modine 1R951 tubes are only 1-1/8". The GDI (432397) and ACDelco (AC20571) F-body have bigger tubes at 1-3/8". The 1R951 is only slightly (~6%) more efficient than the STD 3-row. The 1-3/8" units have ~32% more capacity than stock.