Any way to prevent rust on bottom of doors?

ScottyRegal

I have some really good GN doors on my T type.. after i got my paintjob they were sanded etc.. , they are show room finish now . being a daily driver...i would wanna keep them that way. i installed the new door seals so water cant really seep down inside the door which would start causing the rust...but water gets down there a little anyways...i was thinking....what if i were to spray the inside of the door along the bottom with a rustoleum or some type of rust preventative paint...i would think this should be perfect right? i mean if water were to collect at the bottom it would fall onto the glossy paint not causing any damage to the metal and then trickle out the side hole on the bottom so it would never see rust...right? or anyone have diff ideas on this.
thanks

definitely the water drain holes have to be kept clear & open.

but for coating the inside of body panels to prevent rust, I think a better product than paint is 3M "Rustfighter-I".

It's a waxy, sticky, self-healing aerosol substance that flows into all the crevices and seams.

3M part # 08892 for spray can. #08891 for quart can (needs separate spray gun).

3M's data sheet reads:
Rust Fighter I is a corrosion preventative coating for direct application to Automotive bare or primed metal.
Typical areas of applications are door skins, rocker panels, interior quarter panels, etc. This product will
remain soft and pliable and will not crack, chip, or peel.

As a test once, I coated Rustfighter onto a bare piece of steel and left it outdoors, near the So Calif coast (60% humidity year round). It stayed rust-free for over a year. Inside a door panel, Rustfighter should provide protection for the life of the car. Rustfighter is not supposed to be used on exposed parts, I just did this as a severe test.

I have a minor rust problem in the lower rear corners of my doors. I painted the lower halp of the inside of my doors with POR-15 making sure to work it into all the door seams really well about 2 years ago, then filled and touched up the outside. So far it seems to be working. I have no new rust spots or bubbles in the paint.

Por-15

I sprayed POR-15 thru a gun inside the doors on my 67 GTO. Rust will never be an issue on that spot as well as the frame and underside of the car. It is crazy expensive but its worth it. U might be able to brush it on if u can get ur hand thru the opening in the door with the door panel off. Do a search and check out their product line, Im happy with everything Ive used from them.

Door rust

I have found that removing the door panels & coating the lower door seams with spray antiseize will prevent any rust from starting. Used this trick for 18+ years of daily driving TR's in New England. Mud flaps do a great job of keeping road salt off the bottom of the cars & religously wash out the rear frame rails at every wash.