any vinyl fans around here...?

orion681

Too fast?...I think not!
im trying to revive this old turntable of mine. its a real old technics sl-23 belt drive. i was having some problems even keeping it spinning, so i hit the switches with some contact cleaner and that helped, but now its spinning too slow. i have the speed control all the way up, but i still cant seem to get it to go fast enough. im trying to rock out pink floyd dark side of the moon, and it sounds like david gilmour is even more drugged up than normal;) . should i just give up and get a new one, or could it be something else? im thinking maybe the motor is bad, which i might not even be able to replace cause this baby was my dads and its probably from the early 80's, or even late 70's (the case is made of wood!). any suggestions?

Take the belt off and wipe it down good with rubbing alcohol. It'll shrink it a little. That may help it grip better; sounds like it's slipping. Could be the motor but this is a free test. God I'm showing my age.

New belt might fix it.

Take it to an electronics store that sells them and has a Belt - O - Meter at their disposal.

Yup Belt - O - Meter. :)

Luckily I still use my 1968 Direct Drive for my platters. :cool:

Good subject!

I have a similar problem with my 20-year old, direct drive Pioneer turntable. It has a strobe speed indicator to adjust the speed but it won't consistently hold the setting.

It'll go fine for a couple minutes then momentarily speed up or down. Then it'll either return to the proper speed or continue at the wrong speed until readjusted. This thing used to stay dead nuts accurate for hours of use. :confused: Suggestions?

There's a lot of albums I haven't listened to in some time that I'd like to burn to CDs. :)

take it all apart, make sure its well lubed and hit the controls with contact cleaner. thats what i did, and the speed is consistant, just consistantly slow.

I probaly have 300 + albums. That number may be as high as 500 as it has been a very long time sence I counted them all.

Vinyl is cool, even though the sound may not be as good as a CD I like to also hear the music as most other would have heard it first. That and albums covers are often works of art IMHO.

A good new turntable is very expensive, like 200 to 500 depending on what all options you want, get a direct drive. I have one of the top Technics made, I got it at a yard sell for like 20 bucks and was glad to pay it, usualy they go for much less. Thats the best place to get a good turntable cheap. That and while pawn shops on electronics usualy charge about the same price as the stuff cost new turntables are one item you can pick up cheap, as they must think no one wants them any more lol.

i have a set of direct drive 1200's. i have abused these for at least 5 years now and they are not showing any wear.
i have a walk in closet that is just wall to wall records.

I still have my Dual CS731Q directdrive turntable and at least 1000 albums:cool: I even have a box of 8 track cartridges in the basement. I'm not old:eek:

Originally posted by TwoLaneBlackTop
I probaly have 300 + albums. That number may be as high as 500 as it has been a very long time sence I counted them all.

Vinyl is cool, even though the sound may not be as good as a CD I like to also hear the music as most other would have heard it first. That and albums covers are often works of art IMHO.

A good new turntable is very expensive, like 200 to 500 depending on what all options you want, get a direct drive. I have one of the top Technics made, I got it at a yard sell for like 20 bucks and was glad to pay it, usualy they go for much less. Thats the best place to get a good turntable cheap. That and while pawn shops on electronics usualy charge about the same price as the stuff cost new turntables are one item you can pick up cheap, as they must think no one wants them any more lol.

some music is just meant to be heard on vinyl. the whole reason that i am on a new vinyl kick, is because my buddy got a turntable from some dude at his work and couldn't get a good signal level out of it. i hooked him up with this old phono preamp that hooks up in line, and it worked like a charm. so i blew the dust off my turntable, and tried to get it going, and its crappin on me, but there's a local pawn shop that i might check out. i would love to have a 1200, but they are almost $700 brand new!!! no way im spending that kind of dough just to listen to some bob marley and pink floyd vinyl, so im looking for the best compromise.

Also try ebay, it's worth a shot.

Most any direct drive technics from the 80's or newer is pretty good.

Yea, some stuff is just better on vinyl. It's odd because most people my age have never even owned a record.

Moving coil cartridge pre-amp.? Used to use a lot of moving coil cartridges in the ummm old days. :cool:

I use the Shure Type V or so. Maybe it's a VI. :D

Good durable stylus on that thing. Excellent sound too. :)

Got an old 1977 ADC carbon fibre straight arm on the 1968 Sony 2251. A/C Servo direct drive. It's custom built but it can track the soundtrack to the movie Earthquake. Not many tables can, I've seen styli tossed right out of the grooves off the label into the center post. ;)

Only about 200 albums though. :(

PS: Ed you are old. I tossed my crappy 8-tracks out years ago. :p

even tho I'm only 20, my father has hunderds of old rock and blues albums I think they sound a million times better than a CD anyday as long as they're not scratched to hell and back. B ut it seems that anymore old turntables are breaking down, kinda reminds me of the damn tape players in our cars :rolleyes: