Any tips on putting up a block wall? (New Garage pics too)

BuickMike

Money pit
I just got my garage stuccoed and am ready to demo my current block wall in front of the garage and connect it to the sides so I can get the driveway poured up. I'm thinking about tackling the job myself because I don't have much to do to connect the existing wall, but am a little apprehensive having no real experience. Anyone have some good tips like how deep to make the footings, how to get it level, and where to use rebar? If any of you in the Phoenix area know someone who does this work on the side let me know too. Anyway, here are some pics. It's 28' deep and 26' wide with a 12' ceiling. Just enough room to comfortably fit 2 cars and get a 2 post lift in someday. I still have to finish the electrical, insulation, drywall, and other interior touches on top of the outside.

Attachments

• DSCF5204.JPG
    DSCF5204.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCF5201.JPG
    DSCF5201.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCF5196.JPG
    DSCF5196.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCF5202.JPG
    DSCF5202.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 203
Mike,

Just wanted to let you know that I hate you. :)

House and garage looks great! I would love something like that..

How are the prices in Queen Creek?

Thanks

Hey Mike,

Nice pics ! Homestead looks really sweet. Adds some pics of the pool.

My only suggestion is to hang the trailer hitch on the ole GN and spool it up. I know Len's tranny will hold up to the abuse !

CYA<
JHall

WHITE T said:
Mike,

Just wanted to let you know that I hate you. :)

House and garage looks great! I would love something like that..

How are the prices in Queen Creek?

Thanks

Don't hate me. The GN is an absolute wreck right now because I'v e been pouring all the $$ into the house. The prices in Queen Creek used to be great. 3 years ago you could get a house in my neighborhood for about $250K or so. Now they're selling in the $600K range. :eek: I'm pretty close to the Gilbert border, so prices are a little higher than if you head east a couple miles. I believe you can get a plot of land for a somewhat reasonable price as long as its not part of a planned community which is better because you don't have to deal with a HOA :rolleyes:

Jason, how are things going? I'll put up a pic or 2 of the pool tonight.

STG2LTD said:
Hey Mike,

Nice pics ! Homestead looks really sweet. Adds some pics of the pool.

CYA<
JHall

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I have been working my ass off pulling overtime and consulting on the side to pull off getting the house together. Jason, here are a couple pics of the pool. One is when it was just finished last year, and a couple of the waterfalls.

Attachments

• DSCF3456.JPG
    DSCF3456.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCF4976.JPG
    DSCF4976.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCF5029.JPG
    DSCF5029.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 114
OH yeah, back to my question. Does anyone in the Phoenix area know anything about doing block wall or anyone who does it??

Beautiful house,nice garade too :cool: But the best part is.... No grass!!! I hate grass.

block wall requirements

Most cities' Building & Planning Depts have detailed sheets listing the minimum requirements for block walls, including how much re-bar and placement, depth & size of footing, etc.

I'd suggest that as a starting point.

Nice Place, you'll be happy with the tall celing did you build it with a lift in mind? It always looks like a different planet when viewing houses out in the desert. My siding would probably melt out there. :p

I've had mine for a year or so now and it's I love it.

Attachments

• driveway2.jpg
    driveway2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 74
  • cars.jpg
    cars.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 88
bishir said:
Nice Place, you'll be happy with the tall celing did you build it with a lift in mind? It always looks like a different planet when viewing houses out in the desert. My siding would probably melt out there. :p

I've had mine for a year or so now and it's I love it.

Very nice!!! I did build the shop with a lift in mind. I kind of wish I went a little wider, but it's for the best because I still have enough room on the right side to move the RV gate.

I can probably help you out. I pm'd my # to you if you would like to call me during the week. There is alot of stuff you need and stuff to do before you build it. The blockwork itself is hard and heavy but not that mind altering. Too much info and variables to do on the board here, but I will be happy to answer any questions