Any Saltwater Aquarium Owners??? Need Advice (pics)

83turbomon

Starvin Like Marvin...
I just bouht a 60+ gallon tank, got it all cleaned out and cant decide what fish to put in. We have a 36 gallon bowfront tank with freshwater fish thats doing well. This would be our first saltwater tank. Is brackish an easier aquarium or saltwater? I would think that the saltwater would be easier than a brackish tank because of the setup of the tank. We know we have to measure the approximate level of pH in the tank, salt density per ppB, temperautre, environment setup applicable to each fish, water changes that are the same temp, and learning how to clean the tank without disturbing the fish.

We are thinking of adding a White eyed ell to our tank as well or a lionfish... and are also trying to find fish that are compatible with each other by temperament, aggresion, setup, size ect.

heres our choices... I love fish if you cant tell:biggrin:

g3m_04_fish2.jpg

lionfish_lg.jpg

CP_chromis_greenblue.jpg

56322435.DPP_1550.JPG

yellotail2.jpg

Fish are easy. The challenges that saltwater brings are with the reef tanks and corals. Fish are not much different than with freshwater. Now when you decide you want some corals and anenomes then the challenges start. Of course if money is no object then those challenges are greatly diminished.

As far as your fish selection so far goes. The Lion will no doubt look splendid but he is very venomous. One of the poisons in his venom is a neurotoxin. You'd be foolish to put your hand in the tank with him in there. Get some long sleeved gloves for those times when you have to put your hands into the tank.

One of my favorite fish is the Harlequin Tusk.
1038_1299_295harlequintuskreefboys.jpg

Fish are easy. The challenges that saltwater brings are with the reef tanks and corals. Fish are not much different than with freshwater. Now when you decide you want some corals and anenomes then the challenges start. Of course if money is no object then those challenges are greatly diminished.

As far as your fish selection so far goes. The Lion will no doubt look splendid but he is very venomous. One of the poisons in his venom is a neurotoxin. You'd be foolish to put your hand in the tank with him in there. Get some long sleeved gloves for those times when you have to put your hands into the tank.

One of my favorite fish is the Harlequin Tusk.
1038_1299_295harlequintuskreefboys.jpg

thats a handsome fish! i want a few large fish and a few small fish if possible. I knew that the lionfish was venemous, but not THAT dangerous:eek:

If you can't find information one good source with pics is the SupraForums off topic Hobbies threads. They have one devoted to Fish tanks and it is informative.

thats a handsome fish! i want a few large fish and a few small fish if possible. I knew that the lionfish was venemous, but not THAT dangerous:eek:

Also Lionfish are predatory. Those Damselfish you posted pics of would end up being snack food.

You'll find a blend of nice fish to put in there. I'd have to have a Harlequin Tusk (pic I posted above) and a Majestic Angel.
AA4.jpg

These fish would allow you all the little damsel fish you'd want. The key to your fish combo is to know their diets. Obviously you can't keep predator and prey in the same tank.