Any benefit to constant misting on long cruises?

yellow95

Go Dawgs
I am curious to know if there would be any benefit to a constant (very low amount) misting of water on long interstate cruises? I have a Kenne Bell supercharged Rustang, and that roots blower heats up the charge pretty good. I know that water injection originally came on the scene as a fuel saver. I just dont know if it actually had any benefit. I have family in Warner Robins GA, which is a 480 mile drive for me. What are your thoughts on this?

Gary

Hmm if you are not driving in boost then I guess it does not make that much difference.

I know at a steady speed highway egt and temp can be high and spraying just ever so slightly would reduce temp resulting in better efficiency.

More torque and gas mileage ??

The question how would you control such a small amount and have it last 480 miles. The pump would surely overheat with such continous use of a few hours of straight driving??

Even finding a way to drip slowly the tank would go dry in 7 hours guess fill up at every stop. :)

Here is a way of doing it.

You don't need a pump if the engine is under vaccum. Just a large enought container of water with a small jet (don't know size) in the line that connects to the engine vacuum.
While you aren't under boost the engine vacuum will suck the water in.
Granted you will need either a check valve or something to prevent boost from pressurizting the tank when you get your foot into the throttle.
Back in the late 50's early 60's there was kits that "injected water" into carb engines to "improve" performance and gas mileage that were like what I tried to describe above.

For cruising long distances, it's more important to keep your oil, water and tranny temps reasonable.

Jim

Howdy,

With the roots style positive displacement supercharger, the booste is totally dependent on the engine rpm so even at a cruise the egine will see booste per se as the blower crams a fixed amount of air for every rotation into the intake. As far as injecting water into the engine, its a very well known fact that cooler engines make more power and are esier on parts so reducing operating temperature will improve the efficiency of the engine by increasing the fuel air charge density and cool the intake tract. The problem with the vacuum idea is that roots supercharged engines make almost no vacuum because the blower is always forcing more air in and the manifold vacuum is offset by the forced air. This problem is even worse at cruise because while the engine is making more vacuum the blower is moving more air. To inject water at cruise would require some sort of pump to actively feed a metered water amount. I don't know what the long term reliablity of a windshield washer pump would be but it would be a likely choice because it runs on 12V DC and is designed for water.

Just the crazy ramblings of a Physicist with a passion for cars,

i don't know how well it would do with water, but how about a small fuel pump, say something out of a little geo maybe. with a very small nozzel, and a highly restricted line.