any 700r4 people?

blueta

Well I was wondering if there is any negative effects of disconnecting the TCC on a 700r4 trans besides the gas mileage? I got my search working again and came across a post where russ merrit said this "Don't unplug it! The trans will over heat as the L/U actually allows the fluid to the cooler. With out L/U on a L/U unit it will fry itself." Is this true for ALL lock up transmissions or just the 200 4r's?

Ugh...guess I will just get that all hooked up before I get the car back together. One thing though, what cools the fluid in 1-3rd gear? I would imagine (I don't know much about transmissions lol) that it would generate plenty of heat in those gears because of all the shifting going on in a "city" driving kind of way :confused:

cooler flow

A lock up GM trans only flows about 33% when not in lock up. Once locked up it flows almost 97% of pump/converter discharge.
So the answer to your question is you could drive it for a short period of time, but connect it as Russ said or in the long run you will do damage.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

rear planet burn up in overdrive will result as the front gear set is lcked and the rear set is overdriven causing faster output speed than input resulting in excessive heat and rear planet burnup.usually 2 hours at highway speed unlocked wil destroy the planet.