Another Turbo Header Build

.035" 308 filler on the tubes and inside of the flanges. The outside of the flanges is silicone bronze.
The machine is set for 70 amps for welding the tubes, but I throttle the pedal a lot. I probably weld closer to 60 amps
Red 1/16" tungsten
#6 gas lense with torch argon at 15 cfh, purge argon at 5 cfh
I don't use solar flux. If you have two bottles and two flow meters, purging is much easier.
I don't wear any breathing protection and I've never had any issues.

1/16" 308 filler on the tubes and inside of the flanges. The outside of the flanges is silicone bronze.
The machine is set for 70 amps for welding the tubes, but I throttle the pedal a lot. I probably weld closer to 60 amps
Red 1/16" tungsten
#6 gas lense with torch argon at 15 cfh, purge argon at 5 cfh
I don't use solar flux. If you have two bottles and two flow meters, purging is much easier.
I don't wear any breathing protection and I've never had any issues.

Thanks, i guess I need better ventilation in my shop, or I am over sensitive to it. I use a Y splitter, seems ok except the duct tape seems to get too hot and looses its stick. So the whole flange is welded with silicone bronze on the outside?

The argon is heavier than air, so it should settle on the floor. What do you clean the tube with, maybe that is giving off fumes. I use acetone or startung fluid (either).

Nice write up. For welding the tubes together I use mig wire as my filler rod. I take about a 6ft length of mig wire. Fold it in half, clamp one end in a vice and put the other end in my cordless drill. Spin the drill over until you get a nice tight strand of filler rod. It works great for me.

Nice write up. For welding the tubes together I use mig wire as my filler rod. I take about a 6ft length of mig wire. Fold it in half, clamp one end in a vice and put the other end in my cordless drill. Spin the drill over until you get a nice tight strand of filler rod. It works great for me.

I fixed my above post, I used .035 stainless filler for the tubes. I tried to straighten mig wire, but I can never get it perfectly straight and I constantly have to fight to keep it near the puddle. But, I wasnt' folding it over. I bought 1 lb. of the .035 filler and It's enough to last me for about 5 sets of headers.

we are going to change this thread to

( weldingtipsandtricks.com ).............lol...................good info..:)

Here is a nice little product Mike should look into getting.

The argon is heavier than air, so it should settle on the floor. What do you clean the tube with, maybe that is giving off fumes. I use acetone or startung fluid (either).
I am using acetone it stinks a bit, but once it drys up its gone. I bought a table fan I should be ok now to blow the fumes away. I hope anyway..

If you have the fan blowing on you while you weld it will blow the shielding gas away and your welds will be contaminated.

Yep. Turn the fans away from you when you weld. I have an a/c vent right above my welding table and it messes with me. I'm going to move the table elsewhere rather than having to turn the a/c off.

I fixed my above post, I used .035 stainless filler for the tubes. I tried to straighten mig wire, but I can never get it perfectly straight and I constantly have to fight to keep it near the puddle. But, I wasnt' folding it over. I bought 1 lb. of the .035 filler and It's enough to last me for about 5 sets of headers.

Folding it over and spinning it in a tight weave has always worked for me. I need to pick up some small wire like you have and try that.

If you have the fan blowing on you while you weld it will blow the shielding gas away and your welds will be contaminated.

I had to divert the fan flow from the welder.. Both the intake and exh side. Welder sits so close to the bench, it was causing issues.

It's cheap and easy to find in small diameter. I had to order the .035 filler because my local welding shops didn't stock anything smaller than 1/16".

Tig tip If you want to join 2 pipes together and you have no way of holding them tight. I use a hose clamp and cut some oval holes in it to get the tacks in, with the pipes butted tight.

clamp.jpg

A couple items for the "welding tips/triks"....
I use MEK to clean the pipe. Note: mandrel bent pipe will usually have a lube residue in it from the bending process. Once the pipe is hot, that lube will run. I clean the pipes their entire length, to prevent weld contamination. I do this B4 I cut the pipe. That way, the cutting dust isn't stuck in the oil.
I use a scotchbrite to polish both the inside and outside of the ends that are to be welded.
The pipe is then cleaned again w/ MEK, and a rag. [Someone says "no paper towels".]
I also clean the filler rod w/ MEK.

Long overdue update. I have the headers mostly finished, just need to build the crossover.
null_zpsd02f208a.jpg

null_zps13dee13d.jpg

Shame on you Mike! A ferd blue drive shaft?:p Almost wish I was still in TN so I could come over and work on my headers.;)

First thing I thought was how many folks will see that driveshaft every time this car leave the line dragging its bumper!!!!