Another transmission not shifting....

Paul69camaro

Just like many others on the forum, my transmission only has 1st and reverse. I did some research on this site and pulled the pan this weekend. The governor spring was where it needed to be but did notice that the spring on the TV linkage was broken. I fixed this and replaced the filter, put the pan back on and added about 4 quarts of fluid. I knew it was bit low but wanted to drive it around the block to see what it did. It felt like is was slipping a lot but it actually shifted. I parked it and went to the parts store for more fluid, it took 2 quarts to get the correct level and I took it around the block again. This time no slipping but it also didn't shift. I read that I should now check the 1-2 shift valve as well as the throttle valve. Can these be checked without removing the valvebody? Is there anything eles I should be checking? The transmission is a hot air 2004r (BQ valve body) and the car now has an 87 motor with some goodies making good power, I know its a temporary fix but I just got engaged and those little useless diamonds aren't cheap. I'm trying to just get me by long enough to save up for a billet CK transmission so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Paul