Another new GNX story

in the latest gm high tech performace there is a pic of what they say will be the 06 gnx and it is in a gto body with 3.6 twin turbo 450hp the 3.6 comes in caddy cts and the sts and is 255hp stock.

turbotoy

Without a turbo motor, the whole thing that made the car special and quick, the car would have no soul. It would need something like the motor that was in the velite concept car. I also disagree that buick is doing badly, buick quality keeps going up each year and they seem to be selling well around here too.

Am I the only one that thinks it looks cool? I really do think they're on the right track. Developing a Holden/Zeta car that looks like an '87 GNX just isn't going to happen. And IMO, it shouldn't. It should reflect the bleeding edge designs of today, without repeating the mistakes of the past (i.e. the new GTO)

I think they did a nice job of integrating the GNX styling cues:

1. Wide opening in the bumper for the intercooler.
2. Hood bulge.
3. Retro-style Buick fender vents (a la 1950 Buick)
4. Body side molding
5. I think the bumpers (especially the rear) are plenty prominent. Maybe too much.
6. The side-mounted gas cap does a nice job of visually breaking up the tall height of the rear quarter panel.
7. The headlights need some help. They scream "Chevy Cobalt".
8. I like the chrome trim a little, it's very "today".

The following quote is way off, though. GM is working hand-in-hand with the Sport Compact crowd in developing BIG power numbers from turbocharged versions of the 3.5 Ecotec.
...And the turbo? Forget about it. A major redesign of an available V-6 or V-8 engine (needed for a turbo) would cost too much and drive the price right into the stratosphere...
I'd agree that, if done properly, a new GNX could ignite a Buick revolution. In truth, a V-8 powered GNX wouldn't be the end of the world. Don't forget that the only reason our cars had Turbocharged 3.8 V6's in the first place is that it was a proven, durable platform, with engine tooling that allowed immediate, financially-responsible production. By using GM's LS- V8 engine platform, they would be able to offer big power numbers without overloading the car with a heavy pricetag to recoup R&D dollars.

In my mind, the GNX signaled a final "Fukc You" to the Corvette platform, timed with the exiting G-body platform. If Buick really wanted to sell it and reclaim its former glory, while minimizing R&D and tooling dollars, they'd offer two models:

1. A base model with the 400+ HP 6.0L V-8.
2. The GNX, powered by a 550HP, LS7-based V-8 in the same limited-production numbers as in 1987. The price would be irrelevant. They'd sell.

jpratt said:
In the late 60's they made the GS. Do you think people where worried in the early 80's about GM using that monkier again. They only used the Gran part again. Maybe we will get lucky and they will continue that kind of tradition and call the new one a "Grand Driver" GD or something of the sort.
A "GD", thats pretty funny :D
How about this..they should just use their own moniker..GM or GP either one would work for GrandMa or GrandPa since that's who they've been catering to for the last 17 years :D