Another fuel leak question....

GNJimC

Leaking at/near tank. Did the search on fuel leak and most of the problems look to be the tank. However it seemed that my car was leaking when the car was running and from the top of the tank. I did not have much time to investigate but does not seem like a tank. (If so not a big deal since I was looking to upgrade fuel pumps anyways) Where should I check first?

I have not had this car long and got it out Fri. The weird thing is that it leaked after I put about 6 gallonga of gas and 1 gallon of e-85 in the car. I cant belive the e-85 broke some old gunk loose in a line or seam but you never know.

Thanks

If you are leaking fuel you need to park the car and find the problem before you crank it again. If its coming from the top part of the tank you need to drop the tank and check your connections coming out from the top. They are:e Feed lin, return line and vent line.

Thanks.

Car sat for over a week in storage witha pan under the fuel tank. Nothing was in the pan, bottom of tank was dry, nothing leaking from the 3 lines above the tank. Fuel gauge did not change. Started the car and let it warm up and did not see anything leaking when the car was running. Drove it from storage to home (about 10 miles), parked it, shut t off and went underneath to investigate. There was a few small drips forming on the underside of the tank like it was running down from up top.

The bottom of the tank "looks" to be plastic. Either that it is the several coats of rust protector, OR a plastic shield under the tank for protection. If so could there be a small hole at the seam of the tank, leaking when the fuel sloshes around and dripping down the bottom? I bought this 87 lst Novemebr and have not been around it very much (80" of snow keeps GN's is storage) so I am finding out all of the little bugs. My 84 did not have any sort of plastic plate under the tank.

As far as "little" bugs, I have also noticed a tranny fluid leak and T-Top seal issues but I will save those topics for the prespectice catagory.

Thanks for the help!

The plastic plate your talking about are the tank baffles. Check your fuel straps and see if it's leaking there, a common place for rust, check underneath the rubber where the fuel straps are.

Thanks.

I will check. Seems like the rubber would be soft or breaking up if it were leaking there and I dont remember seeing that. I will check underneath.

I am assuming if it is leaking there, new tank would be the fix?

Thanks