Another 03 cobra story...

I just sold my 16k mile mint 03 cobra. I am coming back to the Darkside. The TR's are just plain cool. The cobra was a nice car but until you have owned both of them you can't tell which one you may like best. For me, Turbo Buick hands down. The cobra will handle big power from the factory but the IRS half shafts, clutch and input shaft become weak links at around 550whp. Especially when you can get the car to hook. They are just like any car that you want to make faster, they break period. Also, there is no stock blower cobra making anywhere near 600whp unless it is a compound boost car. The stock Eaton will not do it even with the best port job money can buy. Anyway great cars but they ain't no TURBO BUICK.

Damn, this thread is extremely old. Since my last post in this thread I've owned and sold a blown 97 Cobra and a 500 HP 03 Cobra lol.

Both are now gone, I DD a bolt on 335i, and I still have my GN.

The 03 Cobra was nice, and I'll probably own another eventually....but I decided to let it go before my GN

-Will

My 03 Cobra made 447whp and 460tq and it turned a 11:76 in the quarter. The mods on it were CAI, Exhaust, 2.76 pulley and a tune. When i had the stock blower ported it put 503whp and 530tq. I know GN's are quick cars stock but i know that my stock Cobra would have waxed my stock GN's ass.

I love my GN and that is why i have bought another one after mistakingly selling my first.

Read this whole thread and its ancient!,oh well. Racing like playing pool brings out the testosterone for whatever reasons but they are just nice cars-all of them. There is another aspect to cars and if you ever get to be an old fart like me that aspect is nostagia. Driving a cool a** car that has history,image and a little rarity behind it means a hell of alot more than driving a beat a** A to B car. Sometimes.

Now I know speed plays a big role and its part of why a car is what it is but if anything has been shown with newer model cars and a lot o' SUV;s its they can haul ass too.Do you get what I'm saying?. Theres a whole bunch of 150k resto 70 SS Chevelles driving around that soccer moms rides will humble,but who cares its not just about the speed. If you're worried about just speed go buy a $500 pinto and throw 30 grand of speed parts into it.

lol, this thread is soooo old

I've been through 3 Cobras and two GN's since this thread was created ROFLMAO.

In the end, I still have my GN ;)

-Will

A crutch? It's no more of a crutch than alcohol injection is.

Alcohol injection you are trying to run high boost with crappy gas. THAT's a crutch. It works though ;)

Nitrous is ideal for turbo buicks.

We have been putting bigger turbos on these cars since they were available. Well that made us need a looser converter so it wouldn't be laggy. However when you put a really loose converter in your car you are losing top end speed due to increased slippage. What is the remedy?

Spray that thing :eek:

You can run a tighter converter because your juice will make it spool fast. You will run better up top because nitrous is awesome and that's what it does. You will probably even gain some mph up top even if you aren't spraying the whole track because you don't have a super loose converter. DonWG was running a ridiculously tight converter on his small CI motor with a 76 turbo :eek: That thing got out of the hole crazy fast why? Nitrous :cool:

I have never sprayed my GN but my son does spray his supercharged Regal. Just ask the Ford guys at Ford vs Buick last year at Noble. FWD four doors and running low 12's before the TC balloned. should be in the 11's soon. Running a 150 shot on a Gen 5 blower, 14lbs of boost with no IC.

I have never sprayed my GN but my son does spray his supercharged Regal. Just ask the Ford guys at Ford vs Buick last year at Noble. FWD four doors and running low 12's before the TC balloned. should be in the 11's soon. Running a 150 shot on a Gen 5 blower, 14lbs of boost with no IC.

The S/C'd 3.8's love it. I've installed akit on a couple of them. Biggest thing is to make sure you have enough fuel. The stock pump/lines tend to start hitting capacity on a ported blower and 100+ shot.

Thanks,

-Will

The S/C'd 3.8's love it. I've installed akit on a couple of them. Biggest thing is to make sure you have enough fuel. The stock pump/lines tend to start hitting capacity on a ported blower and 100+ shot.

Thanks,

-Will
Yep running 60lb injectors, bigger FP hot wired, on e85

:biggrin: somebody is upset. sell my TB and buy a cobra? why? i kept my GN and bought the cobra anyways. i love people that post info about cars that they never owned, but of course they know every detail about them. the cobras an all around better car, don't kid yourself like it isn't.
Blind by what the old guys tell them? your running race gas and 17 psi.. I think you're the one that needs your eyes checked.and brain too. what exactly do I need to figure out? both my cars would have handed you your bottom(keeping it rated PG) and they didn't need nitrous or race gas to do it either. I never said nitrous was bad at all, I just asked if you ever thought of running alcohol and turning up the boost instead. fear these outdated big black buicks? do people duck and cover when they seem them or something?
A TURBO UPGRADE BEING A BOLT-ON!!!! now you're just being silly. are you really this dumb in real life or do you have an alter ego on the forums? please show me a bone stock GN going low 13s, did that one come with a 50 shot, bigger turbo, and drag radials from the factory as well?:rolleyes: the fact you're even comparing a stock GN with a stock cobra amazes me. you really have no idea. if you think the forums filled with tools, why do you even bother posting? pass a test to own a TB?? wow, your sir are one of a kind.

Vetroc: that may be the deal of a lifetime if it's not a salvage titled car. the cobras don't go for that cheap on a regular basis, check svtp, ebay and autotrader for proof. but what would i know..i only sold my brothers 03 cobra for him, my 03 cobra and had my GF purchase her's all within the last 4 months.

Greg

There is no way in hell a showroom stock Turbo Buick is running a low 13 anywhere besides maybe mineshaft air and that ain't happening where he is from for sure. I owned 2 completely bone stock GN and before modded one of them ran 14.20 and the other 14.10 on factory tires in regular non mineshaft southern air. I think you have to take most street racing stories with a grain of salt as most people seem to embellish them anyway. I can tell you some people like to act like big dog on the street when the reality is they probably never had anything real fast. That setup he is talking about should be very deep in the 10's unless he don't have a clue. I know personally of several Turbo Buicks that ran very low 11's with stock turbo, just basic bolt ons and a 150 shot. If he is only putting 5-6 carlengths on a bolt on cobra he isn't running very fast. Sounds like a low 11 sec car that shoul dbe running low 10's instead.

I owned a 04 Cobra with all the bolt on's and was very impressed with it,It was just to uncomfortable for me,Cobra long gone ,and very missed at times,but still have the GN,and sometimes wish it was gone also

I had to sell the "T", the big black 4x4 Lariat and other toys to pay my son's medical bills and miss it something awful. Once he's in college next year we will sell the house, move to the country and downsize. Then I will do it all again. I really miss the turbo scream that sounded like an eagle sitting on the hood.

So one of you guys keep one in the garage for me please.

Mikey