Annoying locking unlocking with converter

V8killR4U

Ive had my 9-11 converter for about a year or so. The only problem I have is the unlocking, locking it does during normal driving. Seems when im cruising at say 45-50 mph or somewhere near there in OD or D for that matter the converter does this annoying ass lock /unlock thing. Like the cars trying to find the right gear (This is what i assume is the locking unlocking) Is there anyway to cure this. Its embarrasing and annoying as hell when your cruising and it shappens. People next to you look at you like your cars a pile and the person sitting in your car thinks its a pile too or at least somethings wrong. Can this be programmed out with a chip or do I just need to go non lockup or try a different converter. Not bashing the 9-11 i did gain .3 in the 1/4 but i drive my car more than race it and would rather have better street manners than deal with the lock unlock annoyance. Does the vigilante do the same thing. Oh yeah Ive adjusted the TV cable it helps a lil but it still does it now and then.

just have the speed that the converter locks up at normal driving changed your chip programer can take care of that

My car does the same exact thing with the same converter...I just got this converter too...I replaced the TCC solenoid in the trans and checked the brake switch...my car will lock and unlock right at 45-50 mph...any faster than 55 mph and the converter doesn't even try to lock...we are gonna see if we can re-program the chip to lock the converter at like 60 mph and see what happens...

Get a direct scan and look at the screen to see if the "TCC" is lit up or not. That will tell you if its the ECM commanding lockup or not. Can also be a bad TPS switch, bad lockup solenoid, bad ecm, bad chip, etc.

Originally posted by d0n_3d
My car does the same exact thing with the same converter...I just got this converter too...I replaced the TCC solenoid in the trans and checked the brake switch...my car will lock and unlock right at 45-50 mph...any faster than 55 mph and the converter doesn't even try to lock...we are gonna see if we can re-program the chip to lock the converter at like 60 mph and see what happens...

well let me know if that works for you. I have the maxeffort chip so maybe he can reprogram my chip. I just had the trans rebuilt so im sure its nothing with that. Let know how it turns out.

The unlock on that chip is 2mph less than the lock up mph.

Do you want it moved up a bit?

Steve

Back from the dead..I am having the same problem. Did you ever find a solution?

Maybe it isn't related, but in cool weather some cars with a 160 stat will tend to lock / unlock for the first 10-15 minutes of hwy driving because the thermostat opens and closes and the coolant temp cycles below and above the tcc enable threshold. I forgot what that was stock but it wasn't too far below 160 degrees.
I lowered that threshold in the ME when I noticed it going on in my car a few years ago.

Steve

back in 88 I just put a switch on it to leave it unlocked driving around .. Stock converters and others all did the same thing with the in an out .. get on the highway and turn it back on for gas mileage :cool:

I found the problem after probing a bit today. It turns out my 4th gear switch is not working correctly. I didn't feel like dropping the pan so I spliced the 4th gear wire to the third gear switch. Either the switch is faulty or the wire came off..After the splice..everything is back to normal:biggrin:

Torque converter lock-up defeat switch

I have had that in and out lockup problem in the past on a GN and a TTA. There is a purple wire that goes to the switch on the brake pedal, it unlocks the TC when the brakes are applied. Cut this wire (check diagram to be sure) and put a simple toggle switch between the two ends with some extra wire. I placed the switch in a convenient spot and used the lockup when I wanted,like on the highway. I used this for years. The TTA would go nuts in the city on hot days at low speeds, there is a problem with the TCC solenoid shorting out, some are worse than others but this fix is easy, and makes the cars pleasant to drive. Also I once had a transmission that had a 7004R filter in it. It was making contact with the edge of the solenoid and grounding it causing unpredictable lockups. Hope this helps.

my converter use to do this as well. replaced the pressure switches put a HD lockup selonide in it and havent had a problem since.