And you think you keep your cars a long time.

WLDWST

Keeping a Car a Long Time

Mr. Allen
Swift, ( Springfield , MA ), received this 1928 Rolls-Royce Picadilly P1 Roadster from his father -- brand new -- as a graduation gift in 1928.

He drove it up until his death last year..... at the age of 102!!

He was the oldest living owner of a car from new.

He donated it to the Springfield museum after his death. It has 170,000 miles on it, still runs like a swiss watch, dead silent at any speed and is in perfect cosmetic condition. (82 years!)

Attachments

• !cid_D13A388B5AA1427D8CDE464030E5FC4D@johnwmvi3setmw.jpg
    !cid_D13A388B5AA1427D8CDE464030E5FC4D@johnwmvi3setmw.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 320
Well I've got 80k already down, and there is no way I could have bought it new ;).

that's about how many miles i put on a car in 5 years, so if that had been my car and i lived 82 years, it would have .....2,788,000. hope i can get that out of my gn.

Neat story, thanks for posting it.

That car still looks GREAT.

I wonder if Rolls Royce carried the premium back then that it does today? If so, that was a nice gift!!! ---

we have a little small garage around the corner from the house. he has a 1952 Ford truck he bought new & to this day it is the ONLY vehicle he drives, he even uses it to dolly his customers cars into his shop.

car a long time

my brother down in tennessee has a 55 chevrolet sedan he has owned since 1962. i dont think it runs,
i have a 66 corvette roadster that i bought back in 1970 it has not been out of the garage in four years, i start it about ever 30 days or so,
some people hang on to cars and guns etc,, for a long time,
oc,

I was to a cruise in a couple weeks ago, and there was a 63 split window vette with 449,000 miles on it. I didn't take a close look at it but the exterior looked like it had been restored.

David
87GN