An fitting fuel line adaptors

Many people are looking at stock replacement fuel pumps that can supply enough fuel for E85 and big injectors. Some have a higher volume at idle than the regulator and stock return lines can handle. If the return line restrictions are relieved everything is fine. The fuel won't heat up and the pump is not working too hard. In one of Ken's posts he has all the inside diameters of the saginaw fittings, regulator and line fittings with how much improvement the mods will do for flow. I don't see how this is a bad modification to the fuel system. It seems this is getting way over blown.

Many people are looking at stock replacement fuel pumps that can supply enough fuel for E85 and big injectors. Some have a higher volume at idle than the regulator and stock return lines can handle.

I know. They all have more volume. It's what I've been talking about. Don't buy one of these and you won't have to cut/replace the return line. I've stated this three times or more.

Its not friction from being pushed through a restrictive regulator and/or return line that heats the fuel,it's heated because more fuel is sent to the motor that isn't used. While it is at the motor it gets heated because the motor is hot. Since more fuel is sent to the motor and the motor is still using the same amount as it did before the new pump was installed,more hot fuel is sent back to the tank.

Again,I'm making 700 on E85 with a stock unmodified fuel return line.

Why would anyone moving a lesser volume of fuel than me need to have a larger return line?

My reason for replying to this thread is to stop the next guy from installing a pump that is too large and needlessly replacing or cutting his stock lines.

The factory lines can take these cars much farther than people think.

OK, Now I understand what you were trying to communicate. The original poster was goong to build a completely new fuel system with braided hose. I was assuming that he was making more than 650 HP and was using a big pump(s). Now....I agree with you that 90% of the folks never need to modify their fuel lines. I feel that 10.2 and faster you should "start" looking at your fuel system VERY carefully. You probably get by with a stock return line because you ARE using 35% more fuel at idle than comparable gasoline engine. What pump combo are you using? If you are switching on a second pump, then you can have a momentary rich condition, but you already know that. Most guys now days like the idea of a big single pump to help reduce issues with hobbs switch failures, simplification and mounting issues. So for those that are running a 255 l/ph pump there is nothing to gain in increasing the fuel line ID. For those that are planning on running big power, there are many ways to accomplish good fuel control. Do as your budget/skill will allow.

You probably get by with a stock return line because you ARE using 35% more fuel at idle than comparable gasoline engine.

I never thought about that,but that is a good point that make me think of this. Who's more likely to get away with using one of these new in tank pumps without modifying the return line? An E85 user.

That's not my situation though. I use Red's double pumper. When I used gasoline,I had no need to modify my return line either because my pump,that's always on,is a 255. They both are. This is how I give my motor only what it needs when it needs it. This is why I love the double pumper so much. I was hoping you would see it in my signature.

Yes,I know about the pressure spike. I think it's insignificant,but I would like to not have it.

Now you've got me thinking that I could probably use two of the DW pumps because of my E85 situation. Ive read that they will fit.

I have thought about using one as my second pump if the need ever arose. So far I'm good. Of course I also use Red's volt booster. The extra volts make a significant difference.

The only way that I would use a single large pump is if I had a closed loop PWM setup. Some of the factory hot rods use this technology. You don't need a regulator or return line. No pressure spike.

I am pretty sure there are regulations about compression fittings in brake line unions. This is actually not legal in many dot regulations if I am not correct. It may just be state DOT regs not sure I would have to look it up.

However I am unaware of any regs about power steering, fuel or oil lines.

If you do have some regs please feel to quote it per the reg so we can look.

I am pretty sure there are regulations about compression fittings in brake line unions. This is actually not legal in many dot regulations if I am not correct. It may just be state DOT regs not sure I would have to look it up.

However I am unaware of any regs about power steering, fuel or oil lines.

If you do have some regs please feel to quote it per the reg so we can look.

Which would you trust more? Compression or Flare.

Which would you trust more? Compression or Flare.

I would have no problem trusting my life to a stainless steel compression fitting. We used them at work (refinery) all the time and never had a fitting fail...

I would have no problem trusting my life to a stainless steel compression fitting. We used them at work (refinery) all the time and never had a fitting fail...
Stainless yes, but most use brass which isn't safe for a high pressure fitting like a brake system.

I wasn't asking you,however you didn't quite answer the question either. When looking at the two designs,which one do you think would fail first? Which one seems to be stronger?

I wasn't asking you,however you didn't quite answer the question either. When looking at the two designs,which one do you think would fail first? Which one seems to be stronger?
Brass is subject to work hardening and then cracking. Stainless isn't and will hold up under extreme pressure.

As I stated earlier, I work on the most advanced commercial aircraft, and we use use compression fittings on 70+% of the hydraulic system. Oh, and it's a 5,000 psi system, too. Done right, with the right parts, there is NOTHING wrong with compression fittings. If a gorilla is doing the work, then .........step away from the project.;)

Hmmm... Well maybe not directly, but you did ask, so I ASSumed it was meant for anyone to answer.

That said, it's more about the materials used than the connection type.

OK. This is a question for any and everyone. In your minds eye,which one do you think would give out first both made from the same material? There are only two answers. Please Pick One. Compression or Flare. If you say anything other than Compression or Flare I will hold you in contempt of court. That's almost a quote from "My Cousin Vinny".