amplifier questions???

87gnblackdemon

Don't Be Redikulas!!
I ordered my sister the kenwood kac-728s 600 watt amp for xmas. She had a 1000w xtant and 2 12" jl's. So I figured she will get jl's or subs that have 250w rms, so 600w would be fine. But , the amp arrived today and I took a look at the book. It says the amp can be bridged to 600wx1 at 4ohms. On the amp is shows the four speaker hookups and it says from the right speaker connector + to the left speaker+ bridged. Can I hook two subs to this amp bridged to get 300w per speaker at 4ohms? How would I do that? In my car I have the Autotek 800w amp and I have my subs wired to the amp like this, both subs + connected and ran to the +of the amp and same for the negative side, negative to negative and then to neg of amp. What ohm is that running?

Originally posted by 87gnblackdemon
It says the amp can be bridged to 600wx1 at 4ohms. On the amp is shows the four speaker hookups and it says from the right speaker connector + to the left speaker+ bridged. Can I hook two subs to this amp bridged to get 300w per speaker at 4ohms? How would I do that? In my car I have the Autotek 800w amp and I have my subs wired to the amp like this, both subs + connected and ran to the +of the amp and same for the negative side, negative to negative and then to neg of amp. What ohm is that running?

600 watts into 4 ohm would have to be bridged into 1 single 4 ohm sub or 2 8 ohm subs parallel (+ to + and - to - on sub connections or 4 4 ohm subs ( 2 subs in parallel + to + and - to - & 2 subs in series to create a 4 ohm load )

The amps power is changed only through resistance loads of subs, the higher the resistance the less power output. The lower the resistance, the higher the amps output.

You need to tell me what impedence your subs are for me to answer the question about your Autotek.

Thanks, I'll make sure she knows to look at 8ohm speakers when buying. I believe my vegas hook to the autotek are 4ohm each. I had them hook up the normal way when I first got them and they still performed well, but when I let my sister use them her boyfriend hooked them up in parallel and the pounded, so thats how they are now. I think hooked like that they are getting all 800w, am I right??

Since they are 4 ohm wired in parallel, the amp sees a 2 ohm load which is letting the amp give it full power. I am assuming it is 2 ohm mono stable because if it wasnt, it would overheat and shut down.

oh yeah it's 2ohm stable, I learned my lesson with my legacy amp, I had that thing way lower then it should have been and it hardly ever worked.

Update on the kenwood amp. Reading different reviews on the amp, there was a thread on a car audio site were a few people were arguing over the fact that the amp can be 2ohm stable. I checked kenwoods site and they say it can. So what kind of power would I get if I connected to 4ohm speakers in parallel to on channel of the amp, (it's a 2 channel), would that give me 600w, 300per sub??

Heres all the specifics fom the book:
max power 4ohm 200wx2 normal, 600wx1 bridged
rated power 4ohm 100x2 normal , 300x1 bridged
rated power 2ohm 150x2 normal , no bridged number

It does say in the book that in stereo mode 2ohm that the speakers to be connected should have an independence of 2ohm or greater, And for bridged mode they should be 4ohm or greater. I really hate this ohm crap.

You read the book and quoted the specs. Just what don't you understand? :confused:

Two subs. on a bridged Kenwood running one channel the subs. would have to be 4 ohm load or two 8's in parallel, or two 2 ohms in series if they make them. Two 4 ohm dual voice coil subs. would work parallel the coils then connect them in series to the amp. operating in one channel.

One channel will give you a total of 150 watts to two 4 ohm subs. connected parallel at 2 ohms.

Other channel will be free.

How about one 4 ohm sub. on each channel giving you 100 watts to each sub. Should be plenty of power for the average female. They have more sensitive hearing anyway.... ;)

AUIOWIZARD!!!

I told you my vegas were 4ohm, but they are DVC, wouldn't that make the amp see them in 4ohm wired in parallel? If so then how do I get them down to 2ohm. My mistake.

Two 4 ohm dual voice coil subs. would work parallel the coils on each speaker to get 2 ohms, then connect them in series to the amp. operating in one channel with a total 4 ohm load.