Amplifier install

olds443

I'm doing an amp istall in the girlfriends Camaro and I was wondering if there is a tool for setting the sensitivity. I thought I heard about some kind of scope before.
The old crank it up and then turn down a little thing when it clips isn't going to cut it with the neighbors and I'm trying not to have to go out to some parking lot, kind of a hassle.
Any suggestions and where I can get one from is greatly appreciated.
:)

The scope you are referring to is an oscilloscope and short of buying one (they are quite expensive) they are hard to find. Try some local shops although I know they won't let you use it, you would have to pay them to set the gains with it for you.

My advice for setting the gains on your main speakers is to just turn the gain all the way down, if you can't attain 'loud enough' with that, then turn the gain up a little more (SMALL CHANGES). If you have an amp that is ~75+rms per channel (not a Boss or other low-end brand that is extremly overrated) this is a very safe way to assure you are getting the cleanest signal.

Oh almost forgot, do your max settings with the headunits volume no higher than 3/4 to its highest volume. this will assure that the head unit is still in its linear range.