amp wiring

FlyinGN

all show no go
okay, I have not decided wether im going Monsoon amp or aftermarket but this pertains to both..
If I mount it in the trunk that means that I have to run 8 wires back to the amp from the HU. For the front speakers.. Thats a lot of wires.. Whats the best wire to run and where is the best place to run em? Next..
How do I connect those wires up by the HU's connector without cutting any wires? I have to come of the radio and back to the amp.. and then back up to the other side of the connector and out to the speakers?? right? ideally.. id like to have a female and a male connector with pigtails so I can run the wires to the amp anf back up and just connect the wires that need to go together.. like the power, ground etc.. Does this make sense?

If you dont want to cut any wires, you can use Scotch locks with a male spade end to plug into connecter, the Scotch locks will go over the wire in question and crimp on with out damaging copper wire and does make a good connection.

You can use 12 awg and thats plenty for that amp. You can run the speaker wires on either side of car as long as it is on the opposite side of the power cable that feeds amplifier.

Run an 8 awg power from the battery to the amp and fuse it within 18" of battery, I personally wouldnt try to pigtail into anything inside of car for safety reasons and headaches with wiring problems. You can grind off some metal on the body of trunk for a ground and use a self tapping screw with a star washer but I personally would recomend using a frame ground to prevent any possible ground loops, its a little more work but it helps prevent any possible motor noise and make sure that the ground is the same gauge as your power wire.

I have done this type of wiring with aftermarket amps to power the factory speakers and it is a day and night difference in sound and actually sounds pretty good and you still maintain stock appearance with a better sound. If you need any help, I am only a click of a mouse away :cool: .

thanks man..

BTW im not using my factory speakers. Have 6x9 Kenwood 3 ways on the rear, blaupunkt 2 ways in the door and Sony 2 ways in the dash. So it should sound decent..:)
should I put in caps to cut the lows in the 3.5" dash speakers?

It all depends where you are crossing them over at. Just for the 3.5s safety, put a cap on it.

I wouldn't run any of the door/dash speakers full range if that's what you were planning on doing.

If crossing over the door speakers at 80-120Hz. I would still use the caps. for a crossover between 300-500 Hz. for the dash speakers.

Just my .02 and it's easy to play around with the caps. for tuning the sound you want. They add value in parallel not series like resistors.

no to add the value of capacitors you wire multiple caps in parallel.

You still place the cap in series with the speaker in the positive terminal.

Didn't mean to confuse you here. What I meant was if you wanted to try different crossover frequencies in the dash speakers you could do that by changing the values of them. My post describes how you do that.

In order to install blocking caps. they do go in series with one leg of the speaker wiring.