Am/fm Delco Stereo

L

lalonde441

Im looking to buy a Stock Stereo out of a 1996 Chevy Cavalier am/fm cd player.....will this unit fit in the 87'GN's? Sorry just want some feedback and to be 100% before i buy. Thxs for any help on this.

I really am about 99.98% sure that the 96 radio won't fit your GN. I think they stopped using the wire harness that the GN has around 1989 or so.

not

not too worried about the harness that can be easily overcome. Just wondering about the fit....will it fit in the existing slot? thxs.

I have a mid-90's Delco CD player in my GN and it fits using the exsisting brackets. Get a wire adapter from Jays GN and it then just plugs in!

If it has the 90 degree brackets in the front of the radio it wil work. I have a 2002 Camaro Monsoon radio in my car. All u need is the adaptor to connect the old to the new connectors and its plug n play.

heres what it looks like..
radio1.jpg

nice

nice looks good especially with the radios being grey....thats why im so interested. One question though....the theft lock. i thought each radio had a code for each car....? thought that was the whole idea with these newer delco radios? how do you override it? thxs

I too was worried about that. Aparently if ya never set the radio with a code it acts normally. So if ya buy it used make sure the original owner never sets the theftlock and u will be ok

I'll be moving this to stereo tech where it more aptly applies.

Originally posted by FlyinGN
I too was worried about that. Aparently if ya never set the radio with a code it acts normally. So if ya buy it used make sure the original owner never sets the theftlock and u will be ok

Same here. I put the CD player out of my Typhoon in the GN - it didn't seem to care even though it's a TheftLock radio.

GM makes an adapter to go from the "old" harness to the "new". I don't recall the part number, but that's what I used - totally plug-n-play. Looks like it belongs there, too.

Jim

yup

no kidding and guys a tip if your looking for these stock stereos for your GN cd players cassette whatever you want....i am getting mine from
www.j-body.com
these are guys that own sunfires and cavaliers and are dumping the stock units for dirt cheap so they can put overpriced aftermarket systems in their cars......hope this helps. I got my CD player from a 2001 cavalier for 90$!