Aluminum spare

rastaz

aka 80's Rob
OK here's the scoop. My RPO code sticker in the console shows option N64 which I was told meant the car had the aluminum spare. That aside, I went and pulled the spare out of my car. Here's what I found: P195 75 R15 Goodyear Custom Mini-Spare with a blue and white GM inflator bottle attached to the back of it. The rim it is mounted on is painted black and made out of ALUMINUM. Interestingly there is a code XUB stamped in the rim beside the valve stem. I recently bought this car off a guy who owed it since '91. The car is bone stock and has 6600 miles on it all of which he put on. The spare has never been used and did not look like it was ever removed either. I called him up last night and asked if he ever changed the spare, he said he never touched it. I've heard that none of these cars came with aluminum spares? Do I have a freak car? Will this spare even fit? I can take pictures if needed. Did anyone elses car come with an aluminum spare?

I think the reason nobody got the aluminum spare is it doesn't fit the 1LE brakes. At least that's what I think.

Interesting... I can't see why the rim wouldn't fit if it was aluminum unless the design of the rim was different than the steel one. I will mount my spare on the back and front of my car tonight and see if it interferes with the brakes. I'll post my findings tomorrow.

Well I know that mine is made out of steel and is sitting in the garage since the CO2 bottle is empty and I can't see hauling around the extra weight. If the Al spare does fit I just might have to go find one in a junkyard. Would be nice to have.

As far as wheather or not yours came with it, I would guess a few did, but most didn't. Who knows? Maybe they ran out of them and just put the steel ones in instead. Maybe they dont fit, could be alot of things.

Let us know if it fits though.

Aluminum Spare Wheel

Never paid attention to it untill your posting. So I did what any responsible TTA owner would do and went out to the storage area, found my magnet, opened the hatch, removed the Quarter trim, and tried the magnet. Would'nt stick !!! My car is #70, so maybe the plant ran out of the aluminum ones and just threw in what they had for the later builds. Thanx for the tip Turbota

The aluminum wheel is easy spot. Its a good looking wheel for a spare. Silver and about ten spokes? Not sure as I haven't seen one in years.

Well maybe everyone is just ASSuming they have a steel wheel because it looks like one all painted black and it's not super light (although it's lighter than a steel one). Get those magnets out! it sounds like we may be putting some generally accepted misinformation to rest. (I still haven't tried to see if it the alum rim fits yet though, gotta get on with that ):)

Originally posted by rastaz
Well maybe everyone is just ASSuming they have a steel wheel because it looks like one all painted black and it's not super light (although it's lighter than a steel one). Get those magnets out! it sounds like we may be putting some generally accepted misinformation to rest. (I still haven't tried to see if it the alum rim fits yet though, gotta get on with that ):)
That would be me :) I've only seen mine one time and thought it was steel by the looks of it. I didn't think it could be aluminum. I always thought there was only one aluminum spare wheel...